Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HID problem.

Yup you cannot fix a ballast. Just replace.
    Try to borrow one off a friend or someone to try out first and see if that fixes your problem

generally , all ballasts are the same. So , you can get one from another kit or somewhere else and use that. Its the bulbs and wiring that differs.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Alfa 156
    Yo Jezzah I had this problem in the Jazz about a year ago and it was a faulty relay.

Just had it replaced it was fine.

But as suggested try switching the ballasts first. If the problem follows the ballasts then that is your prob.

If the problem stays on the same side even after switching the ballasts then you prob have an issue with the relay. If it looks like this being this problem, with the lights on, try tapping the relay - light tapping on mine would switch the problem side on and off.

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k
    tested out the ballast today and that seemed to be the issue. the unit is not equipped with a relay kit.
    where could i source a ballast?

cheers

Member Array
    Car:
    EK4 & Alfa 156
    Al lthe ballasts from the asian markets look to be a fairly generic product, just with different branding.

Perhaps try some of the guys selling the kits to see if they can get a hold of one for you...maybe they have had a returned kit or something and have parts that work.

Worth a try I guess?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2k
    yeap, definately give that a shot.

Member Array
    Car:
    01 Yellow Fever R
    Hey, i had the same problem, was a faulty ballast in the end, just get it replaced..

Member Array
    Car:
    09 Mini Cooper, 07 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezzah View Post
    yeap, definately give that a shot.
    i might have something you need mate.

generally if the relay is playing up, you'll see both lights flicker...
    However if it is one side, looks like the ballast is on its way out (can't hold the charge required for the light).

usually HIDs are sold with 6-12 months warranty so if its under warranty just contact the retailer and get a replacement... otherwise if you want to source just one side look on Ebay or contact resellers... make sure the plugs are correct and the power ratings are the same..

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EP3 Civic Type R
    Simplly just heard any working sound like (bee") on the ballast when the light on,beacuse all electric to the bulb is from ballast. If the ballast does have the sound but no light on, it could be the bulb. IF ballast no sound, u may get change of the ballast. It cost 100 a pair in E bay ... waste time to repair it...