Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI

camshaft chain change interval

Hello all

I'm currently looking at buying a new Accord Euro and am wondering what is Honda's recommendation for changing the camshaft chain?

Could an owner please check their service manual and advise the time and distance interval (eg. 5 years or 150,000km, whichever comes first)?

Many thanks in advance.

SS

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    you don't
    lol

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    Chains rarely if ever need to be changed

Belts on the other hand do need to be changed

Member Array
    Car:
    560hp
    yah, they don;t really break, or shouldn't.
    they may get noisy.
    but that's about it.
    rarely, you would replace one.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by destrukshn View Post
    yah, they don;t really break, or shouldn't.
    they may get noisy.
    but that's about it.
    rarely, you would replace one.
    I know that Subaru recommend changeing their chains on the H6 engine - from memory every 150,000kms, so I assumed Honda would recommend a similar interval.

Does the Euro service manual specify the chain never has to be changed?

BTW, the Euro's camshaft chain is a major reason for us trading our rubber belt 2.5 Subaru Liberty :-)

SS

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Civic & 380GT
    The chain is supposedly maintenance free. Should last the life of the engine.

Member Array
    Car:
    A few...
    Chains and guides only need to be replaced when noisy, not by a specified "interval". There is a very good chance you will never have to replace the chain on the Euro.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by Spicey View Post
    Chains and guides only need to be replaced when noisy, not by a specified "interval". There is a very good chance you will never have to replace the chain on the Euro.

That's great news - I'm sick of the expense of changeing rubber cambelts.

Many thanks all.

SS

Member Array
    Car:
    JazzVibeS/Prado
    Quote Originally Posted by splashalot2000 View Post
    I know that Subaru recommend changeing their chains on the H6 engine - from memory every 150,000kms, so I assumed Honda would recommend a similar interval.
    *see good opportunity to praise Honda*
    That's why Honda is better than Subaru.
    Jazz: stock, K&N panel filter.
    120 Series Prado GXL Petrol: Pacemaker extractors, Dual 2 1/4" exhaust, 70 series MT STZ's, ARB non-winch bullbar, snorkel, Dimpled and slotted rotors.

Banned Array
    Car:
    Euro Luxury; Golf GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by BiLL|z0r View Post
    *see good opportunity to praise Honda*
    That's why Honda is better than Subaru.
    I must admit our Liberty has been less than a paragon of reliability - I'm pretty reluctant to buy another Subaru as I think they're trading on the excellent reputation of the older models.

I've driven the Euro and love it - it's such a balanced car - it does everything well and nothing badly, and the size is perfect for our family car. The Euro would be my wife's car, as I have a new Golf GTI.

This forum is part of my research, but I've so far not uncovered any significant issues with the Euro - they seem pretty bullet-proof. My only decision is whether to wait for the new model, but that's the subject of another thread....

Thanks for all the replies.

SS

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Euro luxury manual
    Quote Originally Posted by splashalot2000 View Post
    I must admit our Liberty has been less than a paragon of reliability - I'm pretty reluctant to buy another Subaru as I think they're trading on the excellent reputation of the older models.

I've driven the Euro and love it - it's such a balanced car - it does everything well and nothing badly, and the size is perfect for our family car. The Euro would be my wife's car, as I have a new Golf GTI.

This forum is part of my research, but I've so far not uncovered any significant issues with the Euro - they seem pretty bullet-proof. My only decision is whether to wait for the new model, but that's the subject of another thread....

Thanks for all the replies.

SS
    What problems have you had with your Liberty?I've had a 2000 RX and a 2002 RX both manual prior to my 06 Euro.