Problem shifting into First Gear sometimes

Hi Guys,

Been meaning to ask this question for a while but never got around to it. I've got a manual '07 Civic. Once in a long while, I have problems shifting into first gear from neutral. It feels like something's in the way when I try to shift into first. The only way two way to fix it shift into second/third a few times then it'll let me shift into first. Or if i'm really desperate (i.e. at the lights with busy traffic) I slam it into first (which probably hurts my heart more than my beloved car x.X).

The thing is I have no idea how to reproduce the problem to show to my dealer/mechanic. Has anyone ever encountered this problem? I am a daily driver (tho trips can be short). And I average this happens like 2 - 3 times a month.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    It is because your gears had a tooth-on-tooth situation. That's why putting it in to another gear and then back into 1st makes it go in. Happens to all manual cars. Not a "defect" per say.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

thanks for the reply, aaronng. Is there a way to fix/prevent this? =/ takes a few gear shifts before being able to shift into first.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by renegadeice View Post
    thanks for the reply, aaronng. Is there a way to fix/prevent this? =/ takes a few gear shifts before being able to shift into first.
    For me, if I can't get into 1st, I either go back to neutral, release the clutch, then press clutch in and try 1st gear again. Or go into 4th and then back into 1st, holding the clutch down the entire time.

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    While you're in neutral, giving the engine a little blip and then shifting to first can help

Member Array
    Car:
    99 vtir prelude
    i get this quite alot in my prelude and i've found he same, jst try putting it into 3rd and 4th and that gives it a bit of a wiggle out of the way. or even better if your on a slight slope, let it roll back or forward a lil that always doesit for me. if all else fails take off sluggish in second lol
    Quote Originally Posted by Bludger View Post
    I reckon there should be a right lane, a middle lane, a left lane and a Nikki lane.....
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    look at its headlights.

if its pupils have gone massive, you know its pinging
    >_<"

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Aurion v6
    any chance your clutch could play a part in this? had my toyota dyna 250 truck with this problem and it was the clutch
    Last edited by TRUMAN; 14-05-2008 at 04:48 PM. Reason: wrong spelling
    D.T

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by TRUMAN View Post
    any chance your clutch could play a part in this? had my toyota dyna 250 truck with this problem and it was the clutch
    Only if your clutch release fork is bent, pressure plate is damaged, have a bubble in the clutch fluid, or the piston going into the master cylinder has been adjusted downwards (biting point close to the floor).

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 Civic Sport
    i get this as well in my 2007 sport. its quite annoying, but just use some force, most times u dont have time to slip it into 3rd and 4th and release and put in the clutch!

i know it feels bad when u force it in, but seriously, i doubt its having any big negative effect on the car

Member Array
    Car:
    2006 Civic VTi
    this happens to me in reverse if that's normal? lol

Member Array
    Car:
    B16A EG Civic
    ^^ yea there's no syncro's in reverse