Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLI 2003

Honda engine, dissapointing torque characteristic

This seems like the correct section, so I post my comment/question here.
    We all know that Honda engine is a high rev engine. It's generally reliable & fuel efficient. But, there is one thing that I find quite annoying. Torque.

Seems to me that Honda engine needs to be revved before we can feel the torque. For example, take a look at accord euro. Max torque 223Nm@4500
    Compare to German cars, let say BMW 325i, max torque 250Nm@2750 rpm, BMW 320i, max torque 200NM@3600 rpm, Benz C200K, max torque 250Nm@2800-5000 rpm, C280 300Nm@2500-5000 rpm, the accord euro seems lack low rev punch.

This is also 1 weakness that I remember from one Accord euro review that I read a while ago, "Lack low rev punch"

I believe this is also the case with other honda engines

Accord V6 339Nm@5000 rpm
    Jazz VTI 143Nm@4800 rpm
    Civic 174Nm@4200 rpm
    Civic type R 193Nm@5600 rpm
    Odyssey 218Nm@4500 rpm
    Legend 351Nm@5000 rpm
    CRV 218Nm@4200 rpm
    S2000 208Nm@7500 rpm

Does anyone know why Honda design engine with this characteristic? Why can't Honda create an engine that is also a killer at both low and high rev? If BMW & Benz can do it, why can't Honda? Is there any reason behind this design?

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    It's true.I always hoped a dyno tune with an aftermarket ECU would help.Need Turbo

TRIPLE OG Array
    Car:
    b18c crx/that's
    lol u have been a member since 06 and it took u this long to realise hondas have no torque?
    www.lozzz.com - car spotting, food and other random crap from Japan

Member Array
    Car:
    Evo7
    If you noticed, you cant compared the Euro the the rest of the above cars. Most od the cars that you mention above either have a bigger displacement or a super charger. Besides, Benz n BM drink heaps more than a Euro...

Honda speciality is being a high rev NA car...not a big V6 or V8 or a turbo charged car. Like the DC2Rs are cars that are meant to be on the track to race. The DC5Rs are just there to try and strike a balance between a wkend car and a daily. On tracks, you dont go round them at 3,000rpm, you drive around at higher rpm.

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty View Post

Seems to me that Honda engine needs to be revved before we can feel the torque. For example, take a look at accord euro. Max torque 223Nm@4500
    Compare to German cars, let say BMW 325i, max torque 250Nm@2750 rpm,
    - this is a 6 cylinder, so its a stupid comparison.

BMW 320i, max torque 200NM@3600 rpm
    - the euro has 23nm more, thats more than 10%. what point are you trying to make?

Benz C200K, max torque 250Nm@2800-5000 rpm
    - this is a supercharged engine, so its a stupid comparison

C280 300Nm@2500-5000 rpm
    - this is a 6cylinder, so its a stupid comparison the accord euro seems lack low rev punch.

I believe this is also the case with other honda engines

Accord V6 339Nm@5000 rpm
    Jazz VTI 143Nm@4800 rpm
    Civic 174Nm@4200 rpm
    Civic type R 193Nm@5600 rpm
    Odyssey 218Nm@4500 rpm
    Legend 351Nm@5000 rpm
    CRV 218Nm@4200 rpm
    S2000 208Nm@7500 rpm
    all except 2 of the cars listed above have 4cylinder engines. what do you expect? Honda make good engines but they dont work miracles. you dont get low end torque without a turbocharger/supercharger or increased displacement.

If BMW & Benz can do it, why can't Honda? Is there any reason behind this design?
    um...can do what exactly? neither BMW or Merc have a naturally aspirated 4cylinder engine that makes good torque at low revs. they either use superchargers or larger displacement engines with an extra 2 cylinders

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLI 2003
    OK, maybe the comparison that I made earlier was not quite clear to some people. I am not comparing 4cyl vs 6cyl. I'm comparing characteristic
    Let's compare Non turbocharged model and the same 6 cyl model

Accord V6 339Nm@5000 rpm (3.5 lt V6, non turbo)
    Legend 351Nm@5000 rpm (3.5 lt V6, non turbo)

C280 300Nm@2500-5000 rpm (non turbo 3.0 lt V6)
    BMW 530i 315Nm@2750 rpm (non turbo 3.0 lt inline 6)

I'm not saying Honda engine is bad.

I am just curious why can't Honda tune up their engine to have better low rev torque? (This is my question Mr_Will)
    Eventhough Accord V6 has more torgue, With this figure, people "could feel" C280 is stronger that Accord V6 because max torque arrive @2500 rpm.

With this figure,

To panda[cRx], yes, I realized this issue long time ago, but I only bring it up now

Member Array
    Car:
    EURO LUX
    its all got to do with emissions and fuel consumption
    easy

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    OK, maybe the comparison that I made earlier was not quite clear to some people. I am not comparing 4cyl vs 6cyl. I'm comparing characteristic
    Let's compare Non turbocharged model and the same 6 cyl model

Accord V6 339Nm@5000 rpm (3.5 lt V6, non turbo)
    Legend 351Nm@5000 rpm (3.5 lt V6, non turbo)

C280 300Nm@2500-5000 rpm (non turbo 3.0 lt V6)
    BMW 530i 315Nm@2750 rpm (non turbo 3.0 lt inline 6)

I'm not saying Honda engine is bad.

I am just curious why can't Honda tune up their engine to have better low rev torque? (This is my question Mr_Will)
    Eventhough Accord V6 has more torgue, With this figure, people "could feel" C280 is stronger that Accord V6 because max torque arrive @2500 rpm.

With this figure,

To panda[cRx], yes, I realized this issue long time ago, but I only bring it up now
    Why are you so hung up on peak torque numbers? They are useless. You should look at the actual torque curves.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLI 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    Why are you so hung up on peak torque numbers? They are useless. You should look at the actual torque curves.
    Where can we get that? I've never seen one from Honda. I know BMW and benz have that torque curve

Team YCD President Array
    Car:
    Honbaru Yum Cha
    Peak Torque is for bragging rights by manufacturers, what is more important is the curve of the torque, that's where all the hype in tuning it goes into...
    146.8Kws @ Wheels Diesel CL9 Euro (SOLD), 2009 Honda VT Shadow, NC PRHT Mazda MX-5, Boxing SG Forester, Honda Civic Sport
    RenaultSport RS265 Trophy+

Team Yum Cha Daily - The Dim Sum Revolution

OzHonda's Public Relations Guru

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic GLI 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by EuroAccord13 View Post
    Peak Torque is for bragging rights by manufacturers, what is more important is the curve of the torque, that's where all the hype in tuning it goes into...
    I agree. It will be nice if all manufacturers are forced to display their torque and power curve as well as max power and torque.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Where can we get that? I've never seen one from Honda. I know BMW and benz have that torque curve
    VTEC.net regularly tests Hondas and Acuras on the dyno. You only want the shape of the torque curve, not the peak number, so you can look at most dynos without worrying about consistency from the varying types of dynos. Here is one for the new Accord 3.5L V6. Look at how flat the torque curve is, eventhough the peak is at 5000rpm.

This one is for the 2009 TSX or the new Euro that is coming out soon compared to the previous TSX with more power than the new one (2.4L 4-cyl).
    Last edited by aaronng; 02-06-2008 at 04:15 PM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2