Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutR View Post
    Im not saying that it burns up in front of you, but compared to better oils it does in fact burn quicker.
    I know that. I am saying that for oils of the correct viscosity for your engine, the oil consumption is more dependent on your PCV valve and ring/bore conditions. Which oils have you PERSONALLY used that burns slower than Shell? Also WHICH shell oil are you referring to? Shell ECO10? Shell Helix? Shell Helix Plus? Shell Helix Ultra?
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    I can see straight away from your post that the Honda Premium 5w-40 is thicker than the FEO 10w-30 at operating temperature.
    Yes.....sorry, I should have put more details in the question.

My main question is why Honda would choose a 5W40 grade as premium? Does Honda imply that 10W30 is for Fuel efficient only, while 5W40 is the one that will give you better protection especially in severe conditions. Also, which Honda will be suitable for this 5W40? For S2000, but not Jazz?

Does anyone else know that there is a Honda Premium engine oil?? I just saw in recently in Eastern Honda Services in Victoria..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by slidetaker View Post
    Yes.....sorry, I should have put more details in the question.

My main question is why Honda would choose a 5W40 grade as premium? Does Honda imply that 10W30 is for Fuel efficient only, while 5W40 is the one that will give you better protection especially in severe conditions. Also, which Honda will be suitable for this 5W40? For S2000, but not Jazz?

Does anyone else know that there is a Honda Premium engine oil?? I just saw in recently in Eastern Honda Services in Victoria..
    The current Honda engines (Jazz, Civic, Accord, Accord Euro, CRV, Odyssey, S2000, Legend) can use 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40. Even 15w-40 and 0w-20 might be usable. Generaly for the SAME TYPE OF OIL, the thicker the oil, the better the protection (as long as you stay within the appropriate range), while the thinner oils give better fuel economy.

Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    The current Honda engines (Jazz, Civic, Accord, Accord Euro, CRV, Odyssey, S2000, Legend) can use 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40 and 10w-40. Even 15w-40 and 0w-20 might be usable. Generaly for the SAME TYPE OF OIL, the thicker the oil, the better the protection (as long as you stay within the appropriate range), while the thinner oils give better fuel economy.
    But I have always thought that 10W30 will have around 60cSt at 40C that will provide a faster flow around the engine for first crank start-up while 5W40 will have around 70cSt at 40C. Most wears do occur at start-up, wouldn't 10W30 flows better in the first few critical mins.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Castrol Magnatec
    10-40

i love carpet. i love lamp.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    You guys think Castrol Edge Sport 0w-40 is ok for track use?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Quote Originally Posted by Chi View Post
    I can tell you that your motor probably wont blow straight away . Do a used oil analysis and tell us the results.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    Quote Originally Posted by chargeR View Post
    I can tell you that your motor probably wont blow straight away . Do a used oil analysis and tell us the results.

OK GUY.

I hope ur engine blows so you're stuck in Syd with your bf !!!!!!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    LOL, you joking or is this a real question?

BTW, I used it and the engine is not blown yet. I'm using the cheaper 5w-30 this time, so make sure you install your towhook so that you can tow my car back to Sydney. I'll bring the rope.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, EF8, EF2
    Seriously though why are you departing so far from the honda recommended oil viscosities? If you look in your manual Honda only recommends 0W or 5W oils for very low start temperatures. Just get 10-30 Red Line. Track tested in 2 different states at a variety of temperatures on a ghetto old high km DC5.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Seriously though why are you departing so far from the honda recommended oil viscosities? If you look in your manual Honda only recommends 0W or 5W oils for very low start temperatures. Just get 10-30 Red Line. Track tested in 2 different states at a variety of temperatures on a ghetto old high km DC5.
    Honda recommended oil viscosities are 0w-20, 0w-30, 5w-30, 10w-30, 0w-40, 5w-40, 10w-40 and maybe 15w-40. Says so in the manual.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Corolla G
    A lot of japanese Honda tuner shops use 0w-40 for track.

I've used mainly 5-30 and 10-40 and wondering if it is any beneficial for the 0w-40.

Just a question, doesn't mean I'm 100% using it.

I know J's racing use 0w-20 for their track cars. which is a bit odd.