Page 4 of 49 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast
    Noob crowd controller Array
    Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Feverpitched View Post
    Some models I'd recommend a learner which aren't priced through the arse on the private resale markets are:

CBR (shop around, there are too many jokers around with stupid ideas of what their bike is worth, uleh)
    FZR (lesser known, hence cheaper)
    ZX2R (refer to CBR, but are much rarer)
    Across (heavier, tiny fuel tank but very common. Also has a boot, so you can store your man bag in there when not in use)

Suzuki Bandits
    Yamaha Zeal
    Honda VT250 (spada)
    Honda VTR250 (they hold value real well, so consider it an investment. Try and find a model with a tacho)
    Good list although I would probably knock of the CBR (due to some people trying to sell a 20 year old bike for $8k and the hassle of trying to find a good one amongst lots of bad) and maybe the FZR (I might be confusing models but I thought that this had quite a sharp power band?).

The only other bike I would add to the above would be a GPX/Z, particularly if you are not overtly concerned with styling (personally I dont think it looks to bad, but some disagree).
    See a good post? Give it a PQ point.

Quote Originally Posted by ludecrs View Post
    They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    Good point, completely forgot about the two bulletproof Kwakas. My very first bike was a ratty GPX and that did reasonably fine for a $1000 bike.

You might be referring to the ZX2R? They're said to have a bit of a power spike high in the rev range. My FZR was very smooth throughout the range, possibly due largely to the EXUP valve.

With CBR's you can find well used ones around for a good price, as long as you don't insist on a RRRRRRRRR and settle for a single R.
    It's not a f*cking Prelude.

Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Feverpitched View Post
    You might be referring to the ZX2R? They're said to have a bit of a power spike high in the rev range. My FZR was very smooth throughout the range, possibly due largely to the EXUP valve.
    I thought the power band was similar to the RGV250?

The GPX's are pretty bulletproof little bikes, with a good seating position etc. A good all around learner bike.

They have the depreciation re-sale value of a burnt out and multi-rolled Commodore.

aprilia rs125, amazing, enormous for a 125, unreal

gpx seat position is the gay when cornering but lovely for touring. yeh it took me 3 months to buy a cbr250rr lols, i ended up paying 5k for my mates one
    looking for aftermarket FN2R parts ! pm me !

Member Array
    Car:
    DB9
    Quote Originally Posted by absolutR View Post
    aprilia rs125, amazing, enormous for a 125, unreal
    unreal 10k, fk that, lol
    Team Yum Cha Daily
    Melb Crew reppin

.....an era has ended.....RIP YF dc2^3

"I do apologise for what must seem like an arbitrary imposition"

Member Array
    Car:
    GG Mazda6 MPS
    Damn. I saw a brand spanking new RS125 for 2,999 quid here in the UK... That's roughly 6,000k Aussie!

I don't think any of the 4 strokers have a powerband anything quite like a 2 smoker, especially in the 250cc field. If I'm in the right rev range on the TZR out of the second corner, an early model zx6r only *just* pulls away from me on the the back straight at the Broadford track. Try that on a 4 stroker 250!
    Last edited by Feverpitched; 05-08-2008 at 07:14 PM.
    It's not a f*cking Prelude.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5, GSXR600, CRF250R
    yes but you cant compare 250 stroke to a 250 four stroke. no sh1t the stroke will be quicker but will need more maintanence. comparing 125cc stroke to a 250cc four stroke is fair comparison where in that case the 250 generaly has more power and less maintanence
    /Oo_\\ __H__//_oO\
    \()_______[DC5]()/

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Quote Originally Posted by Zdster View Post
    I have said it 1000 times, in a learner bike forget looks and power. For heavens sake, learning how to ride should be your number one priority, with looking cool a very very distant second.
    Ok, what are you going to do for the second week, after you've learned to ride on the first week?
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Member Array
    Car:
    Lexus IS-F
    Dirtbikes are a piece of piss to learn on. A 250f with motard wheels would be nice!
    450f's are easier to ride stock, because of the smooth power and extra torque.
    The missus preferred riding my 450f over her 250f when she was learning to ride.

What's the capacity limit for NSW? Anyone got a list of bikes?
    Honda Accord Euro CU2 / Lexus IS-F

Car:
    Civic
    Quote Originally Posted by Type R Positive View Post
    Ok, what are you going to do for the second week, after you've learned to ride on the first week?
    So you think you will have learnt everything you ever need to know about riding a bike in a week (or even a year) do you?

That is one of the exact reasons that I dont ride in a group with people I dont know .

Yeh I kinda agree with Zdster, I do ride with strangers, providing I stay at the end of the pack. Im just a more responsible/controlled more than everyone else out there. In saying that you will NEVER EVER learn everything you need to know about riding in even 10 years. Theres always something new everyday for me. I commute everyday, learning how cars react, behave and sometimes wonder to myself WAT THE **** ARE DRIVERS DOING. I intentionally rode in the rain today with my onepc rain suit + captain safety vest to see how i react to things in the rain, turn in the rain and see how cars will react when i travel on the hwy with my vest+ suit on.

No one here is a perfect rider, no one in the world is a perfect rider. even the gp and the wsb riders. Everyone rides differently, and does things differently and reacts differently in different sitautions. For example, Rossi rides very smoothly with the throttle and brakes going into and around bends, whereas stoner rides, brakes late/deep/corrects his line and then CRACK full throttle halfway into the bend. i cringe everytime i see that :S
    looking for aftermarket FN2R parts ! pm me !