Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RCA splitters

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL

RCA splitters

I have a Sony Head unit with 2xRCA-output cables connecting it to a 4 channel amplifier with 4xRCA-inputs.

I was told to use RCA Y-splitters at the amplifier to connect it all up. Sounds simple, but i haven't been able to find them??
    I have tried Dick Smith, JayCar and a few other stores but no one seems to stock them. I would have thought they would be a common product.

Anyone know where i can get these?

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    supercheap auto sell them
    Check out my build thread EGB16T. http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...build../page14
    Check out my for sale thread constantly updated with b series/ eg parts!

Wakefield Honda Nationals First Timer : na-118 EG b16 1:16.4900

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    Great, thanks for that, I didn't even think of them even though i was just there the other day to buy a clay kit and some wipers! lol

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    Got them! Just installed a sony mp3 HU, 4ch amp and 12inch sub.. man it's awesome!
    The red backlight on the sony HU really suits the DC5s.
    I wasn't really a fan of the original silver HU. Had to get rid of it.. LoL

Based on our tests, use these type of spliters

and not these

Member Array
    Car:
    CE Lancer
    Or don't use splitters at all and buy a better deck.

Remember if you have a 5v RCA and split it you technically have 2x2.5v.
    Although it will still work. Just not to full potential.

Personally I'd sell the deck and buy a 3x RCA deck and also a cheap monoblock for your sub. You'll be surprised at the difference.
    See a good post? - PQ it

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Hondas??

Member Array
    Car:
    2010 cu2 euro
    Quote Originally Posted by A.G.System View Post
    Or don't use splitters at all and buy a better deck.

Remember if you have a 5v RCA and split it you technically have 2x2.5v.
    Although it will still work. Just not to full potential.

Personally I'd sell the deck and buy a 3x RCA deck and also a cheap monoblock for your sub. You'll be surprised at the difference.
    Best option and worth the extra expense.

Member Array
    Car:
    CR2 Accord VTiL
    thanks for the advice guys. the sub is pumping super hard and clear, so i think i can live with the splitter for now. i can definately tell the extra difference when I take the splitter off and just use 2 channels for the sub.

i wonder how competition/show cars install 10+ amplifers in a car.. wiring must be a nightmare.

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    sorry to hi jack, but seeing as theres a thread i might aswell add...
    im having a bit of a problem with my run around...
    ive got a JVC head deack which i like so i dont really want to sell it, but im running 2 amps, 1 for the front splits and rear 6inch 4ways, and a mono block for the 2x clarion 12s...
    when i tried to run the front splits off the amp aswell, turns out i needed splitters, so i got them... put them in, and now i get really bad engine noise :S my power cable is on the passenger side and RCA's and speaker wire on the drivers side.
    WTF IS WRONG! lmao
    Last edited by VTi_b0i; 12-01-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    CE Lancer
    Ok first of all you should be able to run the sub off of the seperate 3rd RCA channel. This means that you dont need splitters. Either that or set your hi/lo pass filters and use the RCA out on your amp if you have it to go from the 4 chan to the Mono.

Second problem.

Engine noise is 99% of the time directly caused by bad grounding. (i say 99 because there is always that one rare case that its something else that you just cant explain)

3 things to check

1. is your ground cables for the amps negative as thick as the ground cables for your amps positive. If not fork out some cash at your local Audio store and get some asap.

2. Are the ground points getting GOOD connection, get some sand paper to them and make sure no built up paint or whatever is getting in the way.

3. Have you earthed your deck?

On the back of the JVC and most other decent decks there is a small tab that accepts a female blade style plug onto it. run a ground from that to a good earth on the chassis. It doesnt need to be super thick wire but make sure its not shitty 22gauge either.

Try all that and let us know.

There is a last resort that some people will tell you to get and thats a "grounding kit"

These are a waste of money and some quality time and effort with some good cables and rung terminals will give you a much better improvement and actually fix the issue instead of just mask it.

Let us know how you go.
    See a good post? - PQ it

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Hondas??

Member Array
    Car:
    94 EG, 11 Maloo
    lol wow! thanks for that now i just gotta find time to do all this LOL
    Power Of Dreams...
    VTECN

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    a grounding kit wont help fix engine noise

everything else tho will

never ever buy a noise suppresor

its a bandaid solution. its exactly the same as putting no more smoke in the oil of a car. it will help fix it in teh short term, but the problem will always be there
    to see all of my build, checkout