Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bringin back to life a car that hasn't been started for a long time.

Hi All,

I've got a 99 model ford festiva (unimportant) that for just over a year has not been driven/started/serviced.

Last time I tried to start the car absolutely nothing happened when i turned the key... nothing.. nada.... zilch.

Since I've only got one working car, I was wanting to use the festiva as my "project" car... as in... use it to learn how to do some car stuff.

Since I'm too scared to tinker too much with my own car.. I thought the festiva should be great for learning. I'm guessing parts will be fairly cheap too. I'm happy to "invest" any whatever tools I need to do whatever I need to do to get it up and running again.

Also, I'm afraid the car was already way overdue for a service before I stopped runnnig it over a year ago. So i'm guessing the oil is gluggly by now.

So.. here comes my noob questions.

I figured trying to jump start the car now would probably be a bad idea since no oil would be present where it would need to be (pistons/o-rings?).

What should I do before I try and jump start the car?

Oil + oil filter + spark plugs? anything else?

What can I do to minimize damage on first start up?

Thanks.
    07 FD1 - Pics
    Full Mugen Kit
    TopFuel zero-1000 SRI
    18" Rays G-Games 99b
    OzHonda sticker x 2

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra Gsi
    befor you start it crank it over for about 2 min with out the spark plugs in it that way the oil pump can move the oil around befor you start it also you may need new fuel as it have have gone bad.....

QUOTE: AE092
    lol 17 - and wants the fastest car. Tell the tree or pole i said hi

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5s
    Sounds like a dead battery

I would definitely change the oil before starting, and check all the other fluids.

don't forget to check your brakes, in case the discs have become rusted.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '92 lude + Corolla Stivo
    Quote Originally Posted by markCivicVti View Post
    Hi All,

I've got a 99 model ford festiva (unimportant) that for just over a year has not been driven/started/serviced.
    well... it's a ford.........
    Sorry can't help you.. its not a Honda

Get it started then sell it & do an engine swap on your Honda cause VTEC >> all

Quote Originally Posted by JDMWhore View Post
    well... it's a ford.........
    Sorry can't help you.. its not a Honda
    Well.. it's technically a Kia...

Thanks onlykillzz for the tip on getting the oil to move around a bit.

I've never taken out any spark plugs... so this will be a fun learning experience... I'll try and buy a shop manual for the craptiva. As I'll be slowly fixing it back up... so that the wifey has a car.

Any other suggestions before cranking this car over?
    07 FD1 - Pics
    Full Mugen Kit
    TopFuel zero-1000 SRI
    18" Rays G-Games 99b
    OzHonda sticker x 2

Quote Originally Posted by NightKids View Post
    Get it started then sell it & do an engine swap on your Honda cause VTEC >> all
    Engine swap a R-series? To what? lol .. turbo would be cheaper.

But no. The craptiva fix has two purposes..

1.) fix it so the wifey has a cheap car and I can get my bike :P
    2.) learn how to do basic car maintenance
    07 FD1 - Pics
    Full Mugen Kit
    TopFuel zero-1000 SRI
    18" Rays G-Games 99b
    OzHonda sticker x 2

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Like stated previously. Crank it so the oil moves around.
    Your prob gonna need a new, battery, check the spark plugs, ignition coil,
    Make sure there is water/coolant, oil, prob put fresh fuel, drain the old one, if its been sitting there for a year doubt that it would be any good.
    thats just for starting the engine ur gonna have to check the rest of the car ir brakes, suspension, bushes, etc etc etc.

I've read elsewhere that they recommend squirting some oil (teaspoon amount) on the pistons - is this required?

Also I'm guessing my rear drum brakes have probably seized since the hand brake has been on?
    07 FD1 - Pics
    Full Mugen Kit
    TopFuel zero-1000 SRI
    18" Rays G-Games 99b
    OzHonda sticker x 2

Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt
    fist thing i would do is crank the motor without the plugs in to get oil to move about. then, jump start the car. run for a good 15 min with some nulon oil flush in the engine to get rid of any build up caused. stop the car, drain the oil out while motor is hot. put in new oil (a grade higher than what you normally use on the car just for this once) while sump plug is out pour in about 2 ltr to clense the insides and take away the old oil, watching the old oil pourin out you can easily tell if you might need to flush your engine oil again soon. change filter and spark plugs. this is so that the internals gets some fresh lube without the build up.

secondly, turn your attention the other fluids. your main concern should have been getting the motor to start up BUT not drive it. so now turn your attention to your coolent. check if the level is alright, color of coolent. if you can change the coolent do so. now turn to your brake fluids. ensure levels are topped. an easy check for your drums is to take the car out for a drive. slow driving but constant braking. if you do smell a burnin smell from the drums, your brakes have binded. put some water on it and take the car home. pull wheels off, firstly check if e-brake cable is not busted/rusted/stuck if all ok turn attention to drums. rip apart and check.
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG

Member Array
    Car:
    Teggy, Spada Vt
    Quote Originally Posted by markCivicVti View Post
    I've never taken out any spark plugs... so this will be a fun learning experience...
    taking them out is easy use a spark plug socket turn aint clockwise and lift up. when putting a new one in make sure you do NOT Tighten it to hard and the threads on the plug give way. semi tight and do one at a time to avoid getting you spark plug leads to the wrong hole.
    -=¤§ ń Ĩ ģ ĥ ţ Ŵ ő Ł F §¤=- ™

info worth the rep point?
    WIFE AND DOG MISSING!!!
    REWARD FOR DOG

Member Array
    Car:
    91 eg5 b16a
    Quote Originally Posted by night_wolf View Post
    taking them out is easy use a spark plug socket turn aint clockwise and lift up. when putting a new one in make sure you do NOT Tighten it to hard and the threads on the plug give way. semi tight and do one at a time to avoid getting you spark plug leads to the wrong hole.
    Yes,when you feel the spark plug 'grab',just turn it enough to where as you don't use force,just so it's snug and tight.'Overhand tight'.Very important for many applications.