Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oil Type!!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by bajajracing View Post
    how much OEM Honda FEO ?
    im using elf at the moment, but i wanna try oem next.
    thanks
    Elf is better than OEM. OEM is about $32-35. Elf can be had for $40 on 20% sale days. Don't go back.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    integra ls
    chunky you have been around long enough to know that this has been covered many times

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    PreLude
    oh cool..
    i'll stick with the elf then..
    btw where can we get $40 for elf?
    i paid $60

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    EK1
    i'm using 5w-30 edge too, cause they're cheap , only $30 when they're on special, but recommended to change every 5000km,

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    oh cool..
    i paid $60
    Wait for 20% off weekend sales. I got mine from Blacktown Autobarn. It was either $40 or $45 for the Excellium GP 5w-30

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by ksl View Post
    i'm using 5w-30 edge too, cause they're cheap , only $30 when they're on special, but recommended to change every 5000km,
    Edge 5w-30 will last at least 7000km. I've taken it to 10,000km with no problems and even gone through a trackday.

Member Array
    Car:
    Bangbus
    oh cool..
    i paid $60
    I got my elf for $45 normal price from Shift Performance (one of the Traders)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    how much OEM Honda FEO ?
    im using elf at the moment, but i wanna try oem next.
    thanks
    I think its about $35 range, haven't used it in a while tho so can't remember the price. Castol edge sport 5w-30 is pretty good but 0w- 40 is better..

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by chucks View Post
    I think its about $35 range, haven't used it in a while tho so can't remember the price. Castol edge sport 5w-30 is pretty good but 0w- 40 is better..
    Agreed. the 5w-30 is still good for street though. For track, I would prefer the 0w-40, but I have run the 5w-30 on track with no problems before. It will protect better than FEO, which many members still use on trackdays.

Quote Originally Posted by chucks View Post
    5w-30 is pretty good but 0w- 40 is better..
    Possibly better if your engine actually needs a thicker oil...

My understanding (which may be wrong and definitely incomplete...) is that oils with a wider gap between the cold and hot viscosity numbers (e.g. 0w40 vs 5w30) will typically have more additives in order to achive the wider multi-grade range.

Since, when an oil degrades over time in use, much of the degradation is due to changes in the additives (typically the long chain polymers becoming chopped up into shorter chain molecules), it may well be that (all else being equal) a wide grade oil such as a 0w40 may need changing more often than say a narrower grade 5w30 (or any single weight oil, i.e. non multi-grade)?

I use 10w40 diesel oils in my engines. I like diesel oils because they have very strong detergent qualities and a high flash point which tends to help clean (and keep clean) the piston rings and ring grooves, which helps stop ring sticking and thus prevent ring overheating and maintain compression.

Diesel oils are made for very extreme use (ultra high compression turbo-charged engines producing very high piston and ring temps) and sold primarily to people who are performance and cost conscious (fleet managers). Many of these people will be having regular oil analysis done and be very carfully monitoring engine related costs and wear etc. Oils that don't perform very well in this very competitive market don't remain on the market long, and as a result diesel oils tend to be very good quality at a good price.

I wouldn't use diesel oils in any engine that wasn't already internally quite clean as the strong detergent action may liberate too much gunk into the oil... I'd also only use a diesel oil that was described as being suitable for 'mixed fleet' use (i.e. also suitable for petrol engines), because some diesel only oils may 'poison' the cat.

I change my oil at 10,000km, but I live in the country and do very few short trips and little driving in traffic (horror conditions for oils). If I lived in the city I'd change at 5000km.
    Last edited by JohnL; 22-05-2009 at 10:08 AM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnL View Post
    Possibly better if your engine actually needs a thicker oil...

My understanding (which may be wrong and definitely incomplete...) is that oils with a wider gap between the cold and hot viscosity numbers (e.g. 0w40 vs 5w30) will typically have more additives in order to achive the wider multi-grade range.
    That's true. In this case, Castrol's Edge 5w-30 is actually a mineral oil that has been hydrocracked (group III). It is not really a true synthetic. The Edge 0w-40 on the other hand is a true synthetic (group IV) and it is very likely that the 5w-30 hydrocracked will have more additives than the 0w-40 synthetic.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1 -> DC2R
    you guys got a place where I can find out more info about the numbering system.. etc and differences with synthetic semi and whateva it is?