Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000

Best air intake option?

Alrite guys what would you consider the best air intake setup?(talking about the piping and filter only)

One thing I would also like to know is how people can take the stock filter box and filter out and replace it with a pod filter which sits in the hot engine bay with no cothering sucking all the hot air in and think it is an upgrade?

would it not just be better to put the pod filter in the stock air intake box which has a pipe running to the wheel well which is sucking in all the cooler outside air?
    Last edited by TegzGsi; 20-05-2009 at 11:31 PM.

Member Array
    A quick summary...

Short ram- (where the pod in exposed in the engine bay) does draw in hotter as for the obvious reasons, but gives better throttle response, in most cases in the lower rev range. Short ram is also a positive if seeking slight performance with retaining reasonable fuel economy. (hotter air aids this).

Long ram- (Where the filter is positioned externally, out of the engine bay gets cooler atmosphere temps helping performance more, and delivers performance gains in the mid-higher rev range. (cooler air does not help economy though).

Or you could modify your existing, or larger airbox with K&N filter etc, then use a larger diameter intake duct (from T/B to airbox)then upgrade/modify the intake duct supplying air to the box... best of both worlds imo.

Putting a pod in an enclosed airbox with the above mentioned mods, probably won't yield much more than a panel filter arrangement imo.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarkz View Post
    A quick summary...

Short ram- (where the pod in exposed in the engine bay) does draw in hotter as for the obvious reasons, but gives better throttle response, in most cases in the lower rev range. Short ram is also a positive if seeking slight performance with retaining reasonable fuel economy. (hotter air aids this).

Long ram- (Where the filter is positioned externally, out of the engine bay gets cooler atmosphere temps helping performance more, and delivers performance gains in the mid-higher rev range. (cooler air does not help economy though).

Or you could modify your existing, or larger airbox with K&N filter etc, then use a larger diameter intake duct (from T/B to airbox)then upgrade/modify the intake duct supplying air to the box... best of both worlds imo.

Putting a pod in an enclosed airbox with the above mentioned mods, probably won't yield much more than a panel filter arrangement imo.
    Im thinking of just putting a pod filter in the existing intake box using a larger smoother pipe to the out side air and maybe a better pipe to the throttle body from the intake box. which is pretty much what you described in your 3rd paragraph.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by TegzGsi View Post
    Im thinking of just putting a pod filter in the existing intake box using a larger smoother pipe to the out side air and maybe a better pipe to the throttle body from the intake box. which is pretty much what you described in your 3rd paragraph.
    Get a comptech icebox and put a drop in K&N filter for it, its properly constructed with ABS rather than flexy pipes which may have air turbulence when drawing in air.

Comptech is more bang for the buck over the mugen one which cost 3 times more.. both of them produce pretty much the same amount of HP. Mugen producing slightly more over the comptech one, probably due to the larger air piping size (Comptech is 3" in diameter, Mugen is 4") however i've heard that mugen ones performs better at the wheel, but its pretty much the same thing. As for the intake pipe, i believe any smooth pipe should do the trick.

Take a look at this article. think it might help if you are up for DIY instead of spending cash.

Link: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=1

Hope that helps

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by chucks View Post
    Get a comptech icebox and put a drop in K&N filter for it, its properly constructed with ABS rather than flexy pipes which may have air turbulence when drawing in air.

Comptech is more bang for the buck over the mugen one which cost 3 times more.. both of them produce pretty much the same amount of HP. Mugen producing slightly more over the comptech one, probably due to the larger air piping size (Comptech is 3" in diameter, Mugen is 4") however i've heard that mugen ones performs better at the wheel, but its pretty much the same thing. As for the intake pipe, i believe any smooth pipe should do the trick.

Take a look at this article. think it might help if you are up for DIY instead of spending cash.

Link: http://www.team-integra.net/forum/di...PagePosition=1

Hope that helps
    Wow that really helps thanks
    I will see what I can do tommorow thanks again.

your cars a gsi? do they come standard with a pod filter in the airbox? if so i would reccomend u replace the filter with a k&n keep it in the box and widen the pipe to about 90mm with pvc piping and leave it to suck cold air from the guard

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000
    Check it out goes hard now man thanks for all the help I sussed it out even fits in the box so I can put the lid on still.
    http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9784/sv400020.jpg

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by TegzGsi View Post
    Check it out goes hard now man thanks for all the help I sussed it out even fits in the box so I can put the lid on still.
    http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/9784/sv400020.jpg
    No worries, mate! Awesome setup. Looks like you did a really good job... btw you should drill some small holes at the corner of the inlet pipe for water to flow out during the rainy seasons..

Check out small drainage holes (mark by red circles) on the icebox, maybe it'll give u a rough idea on where to drill:

Last edited by chucks; 22-05-2009 at 08:03 PM.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000
    No worries, mate! Awesome setup. Looks like you did a really good job... btw you should drill some small holes at the corner of the inlet pipe for water to flow out during the rainy seasons..

Check out small drainage holes (mark by red circles) on the icebox, maybe it'll give u a rough idea on where to drill:

Thanks yeah i'll see what i can do.
    I attatched a little filter for the Rocker cover so now it has it's own supply of air and doesn't need to steal from the T/B.

Plus I really think this made a Huge difference in the car and sounds so good.

as if u need to drill holes in the airbox. i wouldnt worry about it. water wont ever travel that far up the pipe to the box

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Gsi 2000
    Quote Originally Posted by saikou27 View Post
    as if u need to drill holes in the airbox. i wouldnt worry about it. water wont ever travel that far up the pipe to the box
    Yeh I don't think I will but it was still a nice suggestion.