Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Engine Braking?

Newcomer Array

Engine Braking?

How does it work . I mean everyone says that it is better than using your brakes (fuel economy wise i mean) obviously it would help with making them last longer but i just figured it works like this.

Change into a lower gear which = the engine is working at a higher rate = engine consuming more fuel

as opposed to putting into neutral and using the brakes

someone explain to me pleez
    yezzur!

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    use both brakes and engine braking at the same time, less pressure on the brakes, does use a bit more fuel but wouldn't be much.

Do heel toe to gain extra jdm points
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwi135 View Post
    How does it work . I mean everyone says that it is better than using your brakes (fuel economy wise i mean) obviously it would help with making them last longer but i just figured it works like this.

Change into a lower gear which = the engine is working at a higher rate = engine consuming more fuel

as opposed to putting into neutral and using the brakes

someone explain to me pleez
    You need to blip the throttle when you are downshifting, otherwise you wear out the clutch and you defeat the purpose of engine braking, which is to reduce wear.

Also, your "Change into a lower gear which = the engine is working at a higher rate = engine consuming more fuel" is not true. The amount of fuel the engine consumes depends on the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. So if you are at a higher rev but you are not using the accelerator, then you use very little fuel, usually less than having the car in neutral because there is no momentum to keep the engine spinning and it has to open up the throttle a little bit to keep the engine at idle RPM.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    T80
    aarong, give me your brains so I can rule the world
    OZHONDA 4 LYFE!

BRING BACK THE SPOTTED THREAD

Newcomer Array
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    you need to blip the throttle when you are downshifting, otherwise you wear out the clutch and you defeat the purpose of engine braking, which is to reduce wear.

Also, your "change into a lower gear which = the engine is working at a higher rate = engine consuming more fuel" is not true. The amount of fuel the engine consumes depends on the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. So if you are at a higher rev but you are not using the accelerator, then you use very little fuel, usually less than having the car in neutral because there is no momentum to keep the engine spinning and it has to open up the throttle a little bit to keep the engine at idle rpm.
    very helpful thanx aarong i can finally see the light .
    yezzur!

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    i woulda thought that was common sense, not some magical knowledge?
    to see all of my build, checkout

Newcomer Array
    Quote Originally Posted by trism View Post
    i woulda thought that was common sense, not some magical knowledge?
    thats good to know!

noooooooooooottttt
    yezzur!

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by rawr View Post
    aarong, give me your brains so I can rule the world
    But if you take it, then I can't help people anymore....
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    You need to blip the throttle when you are downshifting, otherwise you wear out the clutch and you defeat the purpose of engine braking, which is to reduce wear.

Also, your "Change into a lower gear which = the engine is working at a higher rate = engine consuming more fuel" is not true. The amount of fuel the engine consumes depends on the amount of air entering the combustion chamber. So if you are at a higher rev but you are not using the accelerator, then you use very little fuel, usually less than having the car in neutral because there is no momentum to keep the engine spinning and it has to open up the throttle a little bit to keep the engine at idle RPM.
    to simplify this for those who still don't understand... your throttlebody is still closed as if you were on idle coz your obviously not accelerating... hence acting as a 'brake' for intake air thus slowing the engine down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    injectors actually turn off completely when closed throttle/rpm above about 950rpm for b18c as example.

if u slot into neutral,then motor goes to idle settings,obviously using fuel....

Member Array
    Car:
    380GT,XTrailSTR
    ^^wait really? so no fuel is being pumped into the cc's while i'm engine braking and the ecu knows to do this?
    Quote Originally Posted by Slow96GSR
    If 1 person has had bad luck with a product don’t condemn it until you yourself have tested it. Now if 10 pros have tried it and it sucked then I would trust their opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    doorstop
    yes ronny,
    no fuel whatsoever,as long as your gearbox is maintaining engine speed above about 950rpm on the b18c.

fuel economy is what its all about....