Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Clunky gear box changes

Hey all,

my integra is screwed, when i try shifting, it seems all clunky when i try to change gears, i have to apply force when shifting, expecially first and 2nd and reverse.

its like you push it in put then theres something else you have to push through harder to get it in.

any tips?

gonna change the gear oil soon, but whys it so clunky? its not smooth at all.

thanks

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    might not be jst the gear oil dude, it could also be that your engine is not alligned and your rear engine mount has snapped giving your engine more movement i jst experienced this but u shudnt be driving it its not good for your gearbox at alll

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    As above, check mounts, and also bleed your clutch fluid a little bit.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

well, i tried gently shifting its alot easier, but you can still feel the changing problem but it just gets alot easier to put it in. but yeah when u apply force it just becomes more of a pain ><!

how do i check the mounts? if i go to a mechanic they will just (most) over do it and give me a list of things...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2
    jst go to a mechanic and tell him that my mounts are ****ed and i want them changed and basically tell him wat u said in ur 1st post bout ur shifting problem and that, and if busy even without a hoist for d rear one you can even show him by popin d bonnet handbrake up right foot on the brake left leg playing with the clutch but not taking off or stalling! like basically pumping d clutch to the gear release point continiously it should giv a visual on how bad your engine is movin u can also do it by revving but you cant really tell
    dats all i can say n i dnt see y d mechy would go overboard bro if deres clear indication on d mounts
    are you gna stay oem or upgrade e.g. hasport, innovative or d.i.y style, inserts e.t.c

how much am i looking at for all that stuff?

a mechanic told me it needs new mounts but i thought he wanted to make money the prick. :S he charged me shitloads just to get 2 things done allready so yeah?

whats the ballpark figure for oem fitted? otherwise the other ones? aftermarket?
    how much would a decent mechanic ask for doing that job>?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Have you bled the clutch fluid yet?

It could be your clutch. When i first bought my Gsi, i had the same problem. Second and third crunched all the time, and after a month, fourth started to crunch. Turned out to be one of the springs from the clutch plate popping out. took me two days to change the damn clutch.

Oh and when it's hard to put in gear, did u try reving it with the clutch in? i find that a lot of the times it slips straight in if you do a rev match, especially for the down shifting.

Anyway, it could be lots of reasons why it crunches. Like the above users said, try changing oils and if that doesnt work, it could be something serious like clutch plate or gear bearings, then you might need mechanical attention. I would most likely say it's the clutch due to similar experience. Good luck!

Member Array
    Car:
    LOLWUT
    check enough fluid in the slave cylinder?

some kids garage
    A true car enthusiast appreciates the time, effort and money put into ANY sort of car, modified in ANY sort of style, whether they may like it or not.

fluid is good.

okay put it in 1st and yeah, it SHAKES! like crazy? so i think ive found the problem?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio View Post
    fluid is good.

okay put it in 1st and yeah, it SHAKES! like crazy? so i think ive found the problem?
    So did you bleed at the clutch slave cylinder? Or did you just look at the fluid level?

just looked at the fluid level, is there a diy article on bleeding the clutch slave cylinder?

but yeah i did that test, it seemed to be shaking from the mounts.