Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra

q's about engine swap

hey guys, just a few questions about swapping a b18b engine in a 93 teg, to a b20. Would it work? how difficult would it be to do? and how much in general would the engine cost? i've tried a search but couldn't find much.

Also, I've heard putting a vtec engine into a non vtec car isn't worth the hassle? Lotta' things to do etc. Is this true?

sorry bout the nub q's

cheers
    Last edited by phaz; 04-12-2009 at 03:17 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    First are you talking about a non-vtec B20? if you are then its pretty simple, just need to swap out the dizzy and intake manifolds from ur B18B
    But if your talking about a B20VTEC , you will either have to build it or buy one already done.
    For our cars installing a VTEC engine is very simple all you need is an appropriate ECU and need to add one extra wire to the computer.
    I suggest you talk with one of the backyard boys
    Fatboyz and Benson or Chr1s or DR HONDA
    or if you want a shop to handle all the work
    go to the Good Performance centre in yennora.
    p.s B20 non vtecs go for about 350-600 , if your not planning on any internal work
    get a B20B8 hi comp version/

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    thanks for the good reply gsi, yea i was talking about a non-vtec B20.

my car isn't v-tec atm. So did you mean installing vtec engine into a car that already had a vtec engine is simple? or installing an engine with v-tec into a non-vtec car is simple?

i'll speak with them soon after i've done a bit more research.

thanks mate

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    im saying either way it simple. when honda designed the harnesses for dc integras they all use the same one. The vtec wires just arent used in the non-vtec integras. So its very simple to do .

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    It's a bit more than wires...

· DOHC VTEC B-series cylinder head complete with valve cover, intake manifold, VTEC solenoid assembly and internals
    · VTEC ECU
    · VTEC B-series distributor
    · '90-'01 Integra head gasket
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R head bolts (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R water pump (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R timing belt (also Type R)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R knock sensor (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · -4 steel braided hose with female ends, 22 inches in length
    · 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch BSPT male on run pipe tee
    · 1/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
    · 3/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
    · 1/8-inch internal pipe plug
    · 1/8-inch NPT pipe tap
    · 3/8-inch NPT pipe tap
    · 14mm drill bit
    · 10.9mm drill bit
    · 12mmx1.25mm tap

I've been looking at doing this myself. Basically all you really need to source is the cylinder head and ECU, everything else is fairly inexpensive.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Quote Originally Posted by DC4Integra98 View Post
    It's a bit more than wires...

· DOHC VTEC B-series cylinder head complete with valve cover, intake manifold, VTEC solenoid assembly and internals
    · VTEC ECU
    · VTEC B-series distributor
    · '90-'01 Integra head gasket
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R head bolts (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R water pump (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R timing belt (also Type R)
    · '94-'01 Integra VTI-R knock sensor (also Type R, del Sol DOHC VTEC and Civic EP3)
    · -4 steel braided hose with female ends, 22 inches in length
    · 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch NPT female to 1/8-inch BSPT male on run pipe tee
    · 1/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
    · 3/8-inch NPT male to -4 male straight adaptor
    · 1/8-inch internal pipe plug
    · 1/8-inch NPT pipe tap
    · 3/8-inch NPT pipe tap
    · 14mm drill bit
    · 10.9mm drill bit
    · 12mmx1.25mm tap

I've been looking at doing this myself. Basically all you really need to source is the cylinder head and ECU, everything else is fairly inexpensive.
    Firstly, he was asking if it was easy to install a complete VTEC engine into a non-vtec car.
    Secondly EP3 has a K20 engine so your information is invalid.
    Thirdly if you are doing VTEC conversion to either ur (B18-B20) Save your self the hassle with the lil bits and pieces and just buy a golden eagle vtec kit.
    You also forgot a VTEC gearbox (although not neccesary but higly recommended) with a greater final drive ratio, you might also want to get a tuneable ecu to save your motor from detonation as its not really a factory motor is it. My two cents

Member Array
    Car:
    s15
    sorry meant to be civic si/vti-r not ep3

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    thanks for the input guys, anywhere i could get a cheap b20b8 from? or a b18c head?

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    Quote Originally Posted by phaz View Post
    thanks for the input guys, anywhere i could get a cheap b20b8 from? or a b18c head?
    i have a b16a head and with cams vtec solinoid etc if you are interested, it will allow for better intake manifold (ie type r, non butterfly type) however slightly less compression i believe...
    Boosted Integra underway!

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Quote Originally Posted by spardikis View Post
    i have a b16a head and with cams vtec solinoid etc if you are interested, it will allow for better intake manifold (ie type r, non butterfly type) however slightly less compression i believe...
    What sort of condition is the head in? So if i wanted to put that b16a head on my b18b block,i've heard that u can, but i want definites And what else do you think should be done to it? Just trying to get as much info as possible.. Budget will be around 1k-1.5k
    Last edited by phaz; 08-12-2009 at 03:06 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Quote Originally Posted by phaz View Post
    What sort of condition is the head in? So if i wanted to put that b16a head on my b18b block,i've heard that u can, but i want definites And what else do you think should be done to it? Just trying to get as much info as possible.. Budget will be around 1k-1.5k
    You will need that head complete with Valve Cover,Dizzy, VTEC Solnoid, Complete Intake Mani(senson,fuelrail,injectors etc). Golden eagle vtec conversion kit, New B series Timing belt, Various Oils+coolant, VTEC Computer. You must upgrade your rod bolts to ARP ones if you plan to rev above to 8200rpm like a normal VTEC.

Then its not needed but recommended if you want do to things right the first time round.
    - Better Gearbox (B16A 4.4fd VTiR, B18C2 4.4fd VTiR or ITR 4.7 LSD Box)
    - Tuneable ECU - (either chip a OBD1 p28 for crome, Neptune, Hondata, Pro-ECU)
    - Rebuild your bottom end with Hi-comp pistons, new rings, bearings, fresh hone etc value for money would be RSmachine cast ITR copies , then the brand names come in ARIAS,CP etc
    - Cam + Valve Train upgrade (skunk2, rocketmotorsports, toda, buddyclub etc)

Member Array
    Car:
    boosted dc2...
    whas gsi said its a fun project to do but you have to look at what your aim is then work backwards from that, you have to keep focused on what you "need" and aim for that rather than what pops up cheap and "will do".
    Boosted Integra underway!