Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Painting calipers

For anybody who has done it, how often do you have to clean them (considering all the grease they'd pick up)? How often do you re-coat? If you don't, does it just wear back to the original metal or is there some after-effect?
    I'm thinking of painting mine red.. From what i've read it doesn't sound like it's too difficult. What do you all think about it?

Banned Array
    Car:
    daihatsu Z
    Quote Originally Posted by primouomo View Post
    For anybody who has done it, how often do you have to clean them (considering all the grease they'd pick up)? How often do you re-coat? If you don't, does it just wear back to the original metal or is there some after-effect?
    I'm thinking of painting mine red.. From what i've read it doesn't sound like it's too difficult. What do you all think about it?
    just give it a good clean before you paint it. Use brake cleaner, wax and grease remover, sand the caliper lightly and off you go. You can always wipe em when they get greasy.
    For recoat, just recoat them when they crack after 8months+

Member Array
    Car:
    D15B7 YOOOOOO!
    wouldnt recommend painting the drums if you got

just do a few coats still red after a few months, im 2 lazy to take the wheel off n clean them so i just go 2 the car wash and powerhose it all the dirt n stuff seems 2 do the job

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    as stated just clean them first with brake cleaner and sand them lightly
    do a first coat and let it dry then do a second coat.
    Make sure u use a proper caliper paint.
    I did mine and havent re-applied any coats to it. its been like 9 months now. i just wash them as normal with the hose. but I am starting to see one or two cracks here and there.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic
    I use wax and grease remover to clean mine

works a treat spraying on my cloth then wiping the caliper
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    2007 FD1
    my question is kinda on the same topic, except mine have been painted before in black. i am wanting to change the colour on them, but not sure if i need to remove the current paint on the calipers before repainting them in a different colour, or if i can just apply the new colour straight over the top of the old one...

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 s2000
    probably a better idea to strip away the old layer of paint before repainting. i did this to my calipers (that were yellow - repainted them a nice metallic silver).

the dupli-color caliper painting kits are pretty good - they can be had from amazon.com and shipito for around $50 to your door. they come with a spray on caliper cleaner which is basically just a solvent that dissolves what seems to be anything. it even helped strip off the yellow paint on my calipers!

the kit also has brush-on paint which is easy to use. don't know about durability - only had it on a few months now (3?) but it's holding up well.

Banned Array
    Car:
    daihatsu Z
    Quote Originally Posted by aero View Post
    my question is kinda on the same topic, except mine have been painted before in black. i am wanting to change the colour on them, but not sure if i need to remove the current paint on the calipers before repainting them in a different colour, or if i can just apply the new colour straight over the top of the old one...
    if you wanna save time, sand it down or use brake cleaner (this shit strips the paint off), then wax and grease remover.. then you can paint them. Dont spray a shit loads of paint on first coat, it'll start dripping. Do a light coat one by one

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    Quote Originally Posted by euromandeluxe View Post
    probably a better idea to strip away the old layer of paint before repainting. i did this to my calipers (that were yellow - repainted them a nice metallic silver).

the dupli-color caliper painting kits are pretty good - they can be had from amazon.com and shipito for around $50 to your door. they come with a spray on caliper cleaner which is basically just a solvent that dissolves what seems to be anything. it even helped strip off the yellow paint on my calipers!

the kit also has brush-on paint which is easy to use. don't know about durability - only had it on a few months now (3?) but it's holding up well.
    this is the product i used and i couldnt be happier... because it uses a brush and a ceramic component, i put 3 coats, and yes it collects dust, but a blast of water during washing brings them up brand new, been 6 months and they still look brand new
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316

Thanks for the advice heaps! I end up using 3M's Caliper spray-paint.
    I'm happy with it, only thing is.. ive just finished taking newspaper/masking-tape off my second caliper and there's bloody paint on the actual disc rotor part of the break!
    Does anybody know a safe way I can remove the paint? Also for my next caliper, is it okay if I put masking tape actually on the disc rotor, or can that damage it too?
    Last edited by primouomo; 11-03-2010 at 12:32 PM.

You know you want too... Array
    Car:
    DC2R + VT750c2
    unless it is a very fat layer of paint, just driving it will clear it off... the heat created with the pad against the disc will eat it all up

if it is very thick, just get a blade and scrape it off
    - not removed by choice! - waiting for the next update to the saga
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/profile...=ignore&u=6316