Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Track Prep FN2R

oh man, i got parts sitting here and no time to install them. Hopefully i can get the KWv2 installed today. When is track day?

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothaz View Post
    oh man, i got parts sitting here and no time to install them. Hopefully i can get the KWv2 installed today. When is track day?
    Let me know how those coilovers are once you got them in, im really interested in a new suspension setup.
    What are the main differences between the v2 and v3? How much do they cost landed in Aust?
    Haven't decided which day but will be around mid-end sept and looking to go in on an open day to get more time & practice

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Pics are updated on page 4

New clutch & flywheel and LSD are installed and damn it is amazing - with compliments to Adrian from Toda for doing such a great job all in less than half a day

The exedy sports organic clutch grabs & bites hard which a much better pedal feel, friction point is overall the same probably slightly lower but pedal is a lot stiffer and stronger compared
    to the stock one which feels very soft & weak.

Furthermore, depsite that we already have a lightened flywheel of 4.8kg, i thought i might as well change everything since the gearbox is coming out I fitted the clutch with an exedy 3.8kg flywheel.
    Together as a combo, this is one of the best modification I have done to a car, the engine revs so smoothly and swiftly and feels like the car accelerates a lot faster.
    I guess less power is lost through the transmission as a result of weight reduction. Definately a worthwhile investment!

As mentioned previously, I sourced a torsen type helical LSD from a CL7 Euro R, which i believe would be the same part on DC5R/EP3R and fitted it into my gearbox.
    During normal driving, it acts like an open diff and being a gear type LSD its silent and doesn't chatter. So far, having driven it on the street only I am already very impressed with the improvement
    of an LSD, when cornering the nose tucks in and just keeps turning without any sign of understeering! I obviously haven't pushed it anywhere to its limit on the street so I am highly anticipating to try this
    at track! Research shows almost a 2second improvement over the 2007 vs 2010 FN2R at track. Due to the fact that the FN2R uses electric power steering, after installing the LSD, the steering wheel does feel a littler more heavier when taking corners at slower speeds and seems to pull your steering wheel.

Got my KW installed yesterday and the results are amazing. Its significantly smoother and has less body roll. I havent done proper tests with it yet but it feels so much nicer to drive.
    Still need to adjust the height as it is too low and rubbing on hard turns. If you ever install these yourself, make sure you remove the oem bump stops on the front top mounts. I learnt it
    the hard way and had to remove the front coilovers again. Take extreme care when removing the 3 nuts and holds the top mount, once you drop the nut its gone.
    How much did it cost to put the LSD in? Im still deciding if i should DIY or just take it to a mech. The KW costed me about $1850 landed and the difference in the models
    you can read here http://inmotive.com.au/index.php?opt...d=16&Itemid=28
    All i need to do now is install the quaife, pads and fluids.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    That's awesome another fn2r set up for track! Are you located within Sydney?
    I hope you could join in me track. Labour to install LSD, clutch and flywheel was approximately $700-800
    if your confident do it yourself otherwise just pay a mechanic for peace of mind, insure you don't want
    your gearbox failing on you. Not changing clutch/flywheel while your at it?

I hear that the quaiffe LSD Is pretty good, similar to Honda but with a more
    aggressive torque bias ratio. How much did that cost you?

Care to share which brake pads you are gonna run?
    Have you been to wakefield before with the type r?

Member Array
    Car:
    CH9
    I fail to see how this is track prep without even so much as a roll cage?
    *** How JDM am I ? ***
    ███████████████████ 120% ████

There is no can't.... there is only won't.

Basically, it's a road car with mods to assist when on the track. It's not a full time track car so
    a roll cage is not neccessary.

Quote Originally Posted by jyh888 View Post
    That's awesome another fn2r set up for track! Are you located within Sydney?
    I hope you could join in me track. Labour to install LSD, clutch and flywheel was approximately $700-800
    if your confident do it yourself otherwise just pay a mechanic for peace of mind, insure you don't want
    your gearbox failing on you. Not changing clutch/flywheel while your at it?

I hear that the quaiffe LSD Is pretty good, similar to Honda but with a more
    aggressive torque bias ratio. How much did that cost you?

Care to share which brake pads you are gonna run?
    Have you been to wakefield before with the type r?
    The quaife costs just under 1k landed from CPL Racing UK. I'm still deciding if I should get new clutch and flywheel or an exhaust system. I'm using endless type r pads for the front and ebc red stuff for the rear. I took it to wakefield last year and did a 1.17 which is not bad for a first timer. Hopefully I can do better with all these mods, aiming for 1.14 this time.

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    I fail to see how this is track prep without even so much as a roll cage?
    That's funny...I didn't know you must have a rollcage to track your car...
    The car is already pretty stiff in terms of chassis rigidity

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoothaz View Post
    The quaife costs just under 1k landed from CPL Racing UK. I'm still deciding if I should get new clutch and flywheel or an exhaust system. I'm using endless type r pads for the front and ebc red stuff for the rear. I took it to wakefield last year and did a 1.17 which is not bad for a first timer. Hopefully I can do better with all these mods, aiming for 1.14 this time.
    Exhaust won't really help you improving lap times, get a heavy duty clutch combo with a lighter flywheel, u will notice a bigger difference!
    Are you using stock brake lines or aftermarket lines?

1.17 is very impressive, was this with stock car? My first time was only 1.23

1.14 will definately be achievable. Really interested in how the KW coilovers & quaiffe LSD perform on track.
    Last edited by jyh888; 08-08-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    Quote Originally Posted by jyh888 View Post

1.17 is very impressive, was this with stock car? My first time was only 1.23

1.14 will definately be achievable. Really interested in how the KW coilovers & quaiffe LSD perform on track.
    With the FN2R, you will be able to get much lower than 1:17 after your 2nd outing at Wakefield. The LSD will cut down the time a bit more because you will be able to power out of the fish hook corner at full throttle.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    07 FN2R, 09 FD1
    Quote Originally Posted by aaronng View Post
    With the FN2R, you will be able to get much lower than 1:17 after your 2nd outing at Wakefield. The LSD will cut down the time a bit more because you will be able to power out of the fish hook corner at full throttle.
    I hope that will be the case! First time the car was understeering so much that the wheels were spinning and losing traction.
    How do you usually approach the second corner after the first kink? More specifically, what speed do you usually enter? I think i may be taking the corner too fast...last time i remembered i was entering
    almost near 100km/h