Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si

D16a8 vs b16a timing belt comparison

Hey guys i have a EG5 D16A8 engine.. Its time for the dreaded timing belt water pump and tensioner change since the cars about to hit 180,000 kms.. I have a diagram and instructions here for the B16A engine i was wondering if i could use that to do the D16A8 engine timing belt and water pump service. It is pretty through and im just wondering is the the same basics. I NEED PROFESSIONAL ADVICE PLEASE >< i dont want to bend valves and cry later thanks ozhonda <3

Member Array
    Car:
    CB7> EM1>MPS3
    Im sure the procedures are both quite similar. But b16 being twin cam, would have 2 cams vs the d16 which has 1 ??

Just make sure you have everything TDC, double check, then check again.. an if in doubt, then check again. No bent valves if u check check check
    I MISS VTEC.... BOOST is OVERATED lol

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by CB7_OWNER View Post
    Im sure the procedures are both quite similar. But b16 being twin cam, would have 2 cams vs the d16 which has 1 ??

Just make sure you have everything TDC, double check, then check again.. an if in doubt, then check again. No bent valves if u check check check
    D16A8 is also twin cam. principle would be the same for both

yes principle would be same for both. they also share the same timing belt.

Member Array
    Car:
    EG8
    Quote Originally Posted by dorikin View Post
    yes principle would be same for both. they also share the same timing belt.
    do they really? Iv got D16A8 and iv been told B20 is the same belt but the B16 belt is aprox 2mm wider than stock D16A8 belt
    Why don't you tell your daddy to comb his damn hair, look like some spiders is having a meetin' on his head.

Member Array
    Car:
    ED Sedan
    Quote Originally Posted by xclusive_eg8 View Post
    do they really? Iv got D16A8 and iv been told B20 is the same belt but the B16 belt is aprox 2mm wider than stock D16A8 belt
    the belts are different between the later B16A and D16A8. According to dayco you are correct, the prelude B20 shares the same belt with D16A8, but also the first gen B16A found in tegs
    Last edited by markismaximus; 16-10-2010 at 09:16 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Eg5 Civic Si
    thanks for all the feed back guys, i found out that everything very similer except the tensioner on the B16A engine has a spring behind the tensioner, and the torqueing specs are 55nms where as the D16A doesnt have a spring behind the tensioner so the torque specs different and its 45nms. Also B16A requires 2 5mm locking pin special tools, where are the D16A doesnt need it (YAY!) lol