Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Member Array
    Car:
    Accord Euro CU2
    Me too, i trully believe dealer is a f^&*&^ rip-off guy. Fuel Injector clean is now advertising heavily thru out QLD at every dealer.

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5 Type S 05
    just incase there is confusion, these additives literally are just bottles of additive. at our work (private workshop) we have valvoline engine flush, pour it in the engine before oil change, let it run for a bit, change oil. its mainly used for toyota's that seem to sludge up very easily or car's that have gone over 20000km since last service. It's also very useful for clearing up noisy (sticking) hydraulic lifters. With regular oil changes it is not necessary to use an engine flush.

The fuel injector cleaner is just a pour into the tank bottle. It's not a bad idea if you love your car, especially if you use a lower quality fuel most of the time etc. but yeah it is just a maintenance thing and not really necessary, i do it every 20000km or so, so i can feel warm and fuzzy inside for my car. It drops the octane rating of your fuel whilst its in the tank so its best to do the treatment when you are planning a highway trip or similar. If you wanted to do it and your concerned honda is ripping you off, just tell them to stick to the maintenance schedule and you can buy a bottle of the stuff yourself from any auto store.
    CHEAPEST PRO DIY

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Integra Type-R
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    With regular oil changes it is not necessary to use an engine flush.
    What counts as regular? Changing oil every 5000 KMs?

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Quote Originally Posted by asshat View Post
    What counts as regular? Changing oil every 5000 KMs?
    I change my FEO in my BB6 every 5000kms and the oil is as black as death.
    Obviously why I am looking at this thread :P I will be going to edge sport 5W30 and was thinking of trying to get as much gunk out as possible during the transition.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by prav View Post
    Latest update : spoke to the stealership today and the service guy said that this is done every 20,000K. I was totally shocked. More so when he said that they used "additives".

I dont know about you guys but i dont want my engine flushed every 20,000KM. That as far as I am concerned is a bit NO NO.

So in future, when you get your Civic (or any car for that matter) serviced ASK them to break down what the service includes when you get a price estimate and tell them NOT to flush the engine or clean the injectors.

i learnt my lesson this time and I hope this is some good feedback for other owners.
    Hi, may i ask, why it is not good to let them flush the engine? (apart from the cost)
    and, what is 'additives'??
    thanks

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by teh_mechanic View Post
    just incase there is confusion, these additives literally are just bottles of additive. at our work (private workshop) we have valvoline engine flush, pour it in the engine before oil change, let it run for a bit, change oil. its mainly used for toyota's that seem to sludge up very easily or car's that have gone over 20000km since last service. It's also very useful for clearing up noisy (sticking) hydraulic lifters. With regular oil changes it is not necessary to use an engine flush.

The fuel injector cleaner is just a pour into the tank bottle. It's not a bad idea if you love your car, especially if you use a lower quality fuel most of the time etc. but yeah it is just a maintenance thing and not really necessary, i do it every 20000km or so, so i can feel warm and fuzzy inside for my car. It drops the octane rating of your fuel whilst its in the tank so its best to do the treatment when you are planning a highway trip or similar. If you wanted to do it and your concerned honda is ripping you off, just tell them to stick to the maintenance schedule and you can buy a bottle of the stuff yourself from any auto store.
    hmm....so, may i ask, what exactly a fuel injector cleaner is for?
    and is it just pour into the engine will do? no need to replace the engine oil until next service after pouring in?
    i saw so many automotive product at auto shop, but dont know which is really useful for my FD2.......

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by gumus89 View Post
    I change my FEO in my BB6 every 5000kms and the oil is as black as death.
    Obviously why I am looking at this thread :P I will be going to edge sport 5W30 and was thinking of trying to get as much gunk out as possible during the transition.
    may i ask among all the Genuine Honda engine oil, which one is the best? 5W-30? 10W-30?
    and what are the diferences between them?