Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9

EM1 b16a2 new throttle body + im

Hey guys i have tried to find this thread but i just cant, so i just thought id post it now,
    i have a Em1 with b16a2 engine, i have just bought a injen cold air intake, and about to buy a
    BLOX 70 mm throttle body, skunk2 PRO S im skunk2 mega power headers with high flow cat as well as a full skunk2/greedy exhaust system, i have preparing the car for a power increase in the engine, so obviously you have to do all the bolt on mods first and have the car breathing fine, but my question is, is a 70mm throttle body with a 76mm IM going to work fine and have no power loss with all these mods.

Thank you alex.
    JDM is Best

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    A Larger IM and TB will most likely cause a drop in power and response in the bottom end, especially if you havent done internals and have a ecu to tune it with.

You are prob better off leave teh IMa nd TB stock and getting an ECU to tune to match the intake , and exhaust system which I think would yield better gains overall.

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by Tai View Post
    A Larger IM and TB will most likely cause a drop in power and response in the bottom end, especially if you havent done internals and have a ecu to tune it with.

You are prob better off leave teh IMa nd TB stock and getting an ECU to tune to match the intake , and exhaust system which I think would yield better gains overall.
    Tai thats what iv been told too but i went type r IM and TB on my b16a and i made an extra 6kw and i got stock ecu n internals
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    CP2 / EG5
    Is that at the top end of bottom end?

I know with my old b18c I ran a bigger IM and TB and it lagged on teh bottom end, top end was better though.

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Build your head before TB and IM in my opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    EM1>DC2R+CL9
    Aaahhhh, because i wanted to do all the breathing mods so then i can do cams and cam gears etc, will it make it that bad ?? If i did these mods now ?
    Thanks for all your replys
    JDM is Best

Member Array
    Car:
    EG5.9, EF9, EL2
    Quote Originally Posted by ninzee View Post
    ...but i went type r IM and TB on my b16a and i made an extra 6kw and i got stock ecu n internals
    WTF you got 6Kw (8HP) gain just from ITR TB with no tune etc ??!?!?!!

you sure this wasnt some overly optimistic workshop's dyno that installed the TB ??

6KW from just an OEM Type R TB would have to be the best bang-per-buck mod there is if that is true !!

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexK View Post
    Aaahhhh, because i wanted to do all the breathing mods so then i can do cams and cam gears etc, will it make it that bad ?? If i did these mods now ?
    Thanks for all your replys

Just do a CAI with a good air filter, the rest isn't necessary until you've built the head and the engine requires a larger volume of intake IMO.

Member Array
    Car:
    R34 GTT
    Quote Originally Posted by VT3C View Post
    WTF you got 6Kw (8HP) gain just from ITR TB with no tune etc ??!?!?!!

you sure this wasnt some overly optimistic workshop's dyno that installed the TB ??

6KW from just an OEM Type R TB would have to be the best bang-per-buck mod there is if that is true !!
    i dno we fukd around with the timing too
    106.3 Kw Atw
    Boostech Performance

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Hey big spender lol

I considered upgrading my TB and IM manifold also back when I first got my EM1 however I declined to go through with it as the majority of people told me it was a waste of money and time and I would more likely loose power. If you really want to do it though Ive been told the IM of the B18cr is just as good and it wont cost you as much as the Skunk2 one

Member Array
    Car:
    EG/S2K
    hey mate iv posted a similar thread but it was for my b18c7, upgrading to a 68mm portmatched intake manifold and TB, everyone said no gain/lose gain, but i did not get that result, standard ITR runs 62mm if im not mistaken. my motor is internally stock, i am runnin a injen replica intake, lightened flywheel, tri-y headers, high flow cat and a 2 and a quater exhaust system with a muffler tip, now my bottom end is unbelievable compared to stock IM and stock TB, i didnt get top end or anything but my response was awsome, and power delivery would come on at 2000rpm, my ecu is stock, i jus notice a dull spot right before vtec, and im sure thats due to not having a tune with all these mods...but if you ask me 70mm will be abit big, for a b16a2 go 66mm or 68mm no bigger!
    "SEX" Should Be Like V-TEC, The Whole Street Should Hear You Coming!

Member Array
    Car:
    Milano Red EM1, CU2 Euro
    Quote Originally Posted by AXS View Post
    hey mate iv posted a similar thread but it was for my b18c7, upgrading to a 68mm portmatched intake manifold and TB, everyone said no gain/lose gain, but i did not get that result, standard ITR runs 62mm if im not mistaken. my motor is internally stock, i am runnin a injen replica intake, lightened flywheel, tri-y headers, high flow cat and a 2 and a quater exhaust system with a muffler tip, now my bottom end is unbelievable compared to stock IM and stock TB, i didnt get top end or anything but my response was awsome, and power delivery would come on at 2000rpm, my ecu is stock, i jus notice a dull spot right before vtec, and im sure thats due to not having a tune with all these mods...but if you ask me 70mm will be abit big, for a b16a2 go 66mm or 68mm no bigger!
    2.25 exhaust seems small for your setup?