Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Newcomer Array
    Car:
    '06 FD2

Adjusting headlights

Hi guys,

Been searching around for guides to adjusting my headlights, but I can't seem to find any with pictures! The only guides I can find are for US models.

I keep getting flashed with my HIDs, need to adjust Can someone take a photo and show me where to put the screwdriver?

I've got an '06 FD2.

Thanks!

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    CIVIC eg(dead)kw298 ,FD1
    problem solved buy a size 10 spanner, and turn the nut located here

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kawai View Post
    problem solved buy a size 10 spanner, and turn the nut located here
    That's useful!
    May I ask if adjusting clockwise is moving the light up, or down? Or anti clockwise?
    Thanks a lot, I might need to adjust mine after I get my hid.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    There should be something wrtten on that black plastic plate. Or just wait till night and aim it then.. That's wha ti did.

note: It's quite hard locatibng the cog - have a torch handy.

oh and don't use the spanner - use a phillips head and use the 'cross' shape as teeth to turn that cog.

Good luck.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    There should be something wrtten on that black plastic plate. Or just wait till night and aim it then.. That's wha ti did.

note: It's quite hard locatibng the cog - have a torch handy.

oh and don't use the spanner - use a phillips head and use the 'cross' shape as teeth to turn that cog.

Good luck.
    what is a philips head??
    "use a phillips head and use the 'cross' shape as teeth to turn that cog"?
    sorry, i dont understand......
    so, what is the correct steps to adjusting the headlight?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    This is a phillips head - http://www.ic.arizona.edu/ic/ce210/i...r/phillips.JPG

The correct steps to adjusting your headlights - http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3167/lights2a.jpg (but the cut off slope will be on the other side). Basically, when you're 7.5m away from the wall, the height of the cut off should be about 2 inches below the level of the headlights. Only problem is that when you put HIDs in a civic you'll get heaps of light spraying above the cut-off, so there's no exact measurement that can really be used ... so either aim them down until you stop getting flashed or take them out and put in normal halogen globes.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by funworld View Post
    This is a phillips head - http://www.ic.arizona.edu/ic/ce210/i...r/phillips.JPG

The correct steps to adjusting your headlights - http://img808.imageshack.us/img808/3167/lights2a.jpg (but the cut off slope will be on the other side). Basically, when you're 7.5m away from the wall, the height of the cut off should be about 2 inches below the level of the headlights. Only problem is that when you put HIDs in a civic you'll get heaps of light spraying above the cut-off, so there's no exact measurement that can really be used ... so either aim them down until you stop getting flashed or take them out and put in normal halogen globes.
    yea, i saw the post saying it's coz the reflecting type headlight, so, fitting HID in civic will have heaps of glare....
    that's why i did think of getting an Angel eye (projector) headlight....but just worrying if it is good as i have asked this before, some said the projector type on civic is even worse....worse than the original headlight without HID....
    so,,,,,i dont know if i should replace with HID + angel eye

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic Sedan
    mate - if you go angel eye, stay with halogen globes unless you are going to modify the lense cutoff in projector.

This has all be explained before though mate. Feels like we're going round and round in circles ..

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    The angel eye projectors you see on ebay aren't designed for HID bulbs, but rather for halogen ones. From personal experience, if you want HIDs - you should get a proper retrofit. If it's the white light you want, then there are plenty of halogen globes you can buy that will output white light. Angel eye projectors + white halogen bulbs look pretty good (at least in my opinion, heh)

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Civic Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by funworld View Post
    The angel eye projectors you see on ebay aren't designed for HID bulbs, but rather for halogen ones. From personal experience, if you want HIDs - you should get a proper retrofit. If it's the white light you want, then there are plenty of halogen globes you can buy that will output white light. Angel eye projectors + white halogen bulbs look pretty good (at least in my opinion, heh)
    arh.......i am getting confused.....
    so, it's not good to use with HID UNLESS i am going to do a retrofit?? so, what is a retrofit? is it modifying the lens?
    In fact, i want a white light + a good vision.....that's why i choose 6000k, as this is the best combination with color as well as the light coverage....am i right?
    so, in terms of white color, and the spread of light from the headlight, is a white Halogen bulb better? or a HID better?
    I dont really need HID, but i want to get white color, as well as a good spread of light....and i though HID would give a wider spread of light than white Halogen bulb, am i right?

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by chichichibo View Post
    arh.......i am getting confused.....
    so, it's not good to use with HID UNLESS i am going to do a retrofit?? so, what is a retrofit? is it modifying the lens?
    In fact, i want a white light + a good vision.....that's why i choose 6000k, as this is the best combination with color as well as the light coverage....am i right?
    so, in terms of white color, and the spread of light from the headlight, is a white Halogen bulb better? or a HID better?
    I dont really need HID, but i want to get white color, as well as a good spread of light....and i though HID would give a wider spread of light than white Halogen bulb, am i right?
    Ok, i'll try to go back to basics and explain in everything in broad detail

Firstly, there are two types of headlight housings that cars use - i) reflectors and ii) projectors. Normally, reflectors use halogen bulbs and projectors use HID bulbs. You should only use HID bulbs for housings that have been designed specifically for them. That's why it's not good to put HIDs into reflectors because they are normally designed for halogen bulbs, not HID bulbs. A retrofit is where you get the projector that has been designed for HIDs and you put them into a reflector housing. That way you can actually properly use HIDs.

Secondly, the colour of light is based on the kelvin temperature (K); 4300k, 5000k, 6000k etc. What you normally see in cars with yellow-ish lights is about 3400k. As you go higher and higher, the light becomes whiter and whiter and then more blue. 4100/4300k is what you normally see in cars with factory HIDs - it's white with a slight tinge of yellow. 5000k is pure white, 6000k has a slight blue tinge and then it gets more blue as you go up. It's important to note that as you go higher up on the kelvin temperature, the actual output of light decreases. 4100/4300k is pretty much ideal as it produces the most output of light. Above that, the amount of light put out decreases. So no, 6000k is not the best for light coverage. Sometimes you see cars on the road with really blue lights - you may think it's bright and have the misconception that it's putting out a lot of light but infact it's only because the lights are producing a lot of glare.

Thirdly, HIDs do produce more light than halogens but you shouldn't really be using HID bulbs unless your headlights are designed to handle them properly. Hence, in your case it's better to stick with halogen bulbs. If you want to get that white colour then you should be getting halogen bulbs like these - http://www.powerbulbs.com/product_detail.asp?prod=94

I tried to explain it as simply as I can, I hope it cleared things up a bit!

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    Hi Curtis265,
    i am quite happy with the Kaixen kit that u recommend with me, but may i ask a question?
    after i hear many comments from all the ozhonder, some said tht the HID is not good on civic due to its glare unless doing a retrofit (i wonder what is a retrofit, is it cutting the lens? if so, thats too complicated for me).......
    so, i want to ask, if i use a 6000K white bulb in comparison to HID, will the 6000 white bulb has less glare than the HID? and will the white bulb gievs the same spread of light as the HID does?
    this is one of the PIAA white bbulb that i have found..
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIAA-...Q5fAccessories

in fact, what i want is the white color, as well as a good spread (wider) of headlight.....
    so, will the white bulb give a similar output as the HID? or the white bulb is just the same as the original light?
    thanks a lot, i know i have been so troublesome......sorry mate
    in regards to your PM you send me - i'll reply here incase it's helpful to someone else one day

A retrofit is hardcore work - basically open the headlights, bolt on a projector lens, fit shrouds in etc. It's not an easy job and i don't think anyone in australia does it.

Don't bother with halogens which promise whiter colour - they're usually very dim.

It comes down to personal preference - If you have them aimed properly, the glare isn't blinding - probably no worse than halogen bulbs.