Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    When the **** did 'tyres' become 'tires'?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R, S15
    When the **** did you become an english tutor ?

If you dont have anything useful to say regarding the OP's question then shut the **** up
    snapping 2nd..

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    Yeah, defs is tyre.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK1, AP1
    hahaha, sorry for typing tyre in usdm style. i visit tirerack alot and the spelling on tire just got stuck to me. my bad.

Any who..... thanks for the advice everyone wont be going through with the transition to racing slicks but testing it out on gt5 is actually a pretty decent idea as im still curious to know the effects of this TYRE setup

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Giggles bro, if it works on GT5 then go for it IRL!

Just get four good tyres and use them on all four corners.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    actually Gt5 gives a good indication on how a car might behave in real life. But thats as far as it goes. At the end of the day, its still a game, an nothing on a console/PC will ever be as real as reality, Maybe Rfactor, LFS Or GTR, but that will never give as much thrill if u were actually at the track or setting up the car in real life. If the op was really keen an for laughs, i say let him do it, at-least he can take the experience an learn from it
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Personally I disagree because you have to remember that although the car might behave similarly to reality the most important factor is the driver! And nobody drives their RL car with a hand-held controller or a G25 or whatever it's called. These don't give you the responsiveness and feedback of a real car, and swinging your car onto full lock, slamming on your brakes etc aren't done with the twitch of a thumb. Nor can you see as much of your surroundings as you can in GT5 (assuming you play 3rd person). Also don't forget that in RL you have other drivers on the road, pedestrians, cyclists, trams/buses/railways/road signs and laws etc. In GT5 you have other race drivers which is very different - many weekend warriors will tell you that driving on the track is safer than driving on the road!

For the love of God don't use GT5 as your basis for decision-making.

guiz

GT5 , any car game is NOT indicative of real life handling. Only because of the steering ratio and feedback ! IE on a game you can whip it left then whip it right with the simple movement of your thumb and hopefully catch the oversteer or lift off. This would be impossible for anyone but the most professional drivers in real life. Get a hint !

Member Array
    Car:
    5th Gen Prelude
    I would assume that the road condition would have an effect as well and wouldnt be modelled by the game. Or maybe it is.

I think your car will oversteer if you have less grip on the rear..
    I was driving a Type R in Gran turismo 5 and accidentally left hard tyres on the rear. The fronts had racing tyres...During the race I was thinking why is the rear flicking out so easily?

Member Array
    Car:
    crx gen 1/gen 2
    Sorry, but it's a stupid idea actually. The rear does a lot of work on the track, and having that much disparity in grip levels will give you exactly what bennjamin found - very rapid loss of grip in a corner which you will not catch. Listen to what he says, because that's experience and not opinion.

This does of course assume you are trying hard and looking for the limits of grip. If you are just doing bog laps well within limits then the tires won't be a factor.
    anjin

aka ian

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by anjin View Post
    Sorry, but it's a stupid idea actually. The rear does a lot of work on the track, and having that much disparity in grip levels will give you exactly what bennjamin found - very rapid loss of grip in a corner which you will not catch. Listen to what he says, because that's experience and not opinion.

This does of course assume you are trying hard and looking for the limits of grip. If you are just doing bog laps well within limits then the tires won't be a factor.
    as far as tires go, agreed, but as for different compound, i hear on endurance races, some times they switch the fronts differently to the back, so therefore the wear rate of the overall tires is about the same, harder compound on the fronts.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC