Car:
    Civic
    my cat is 100mm from ground, optimal
    WTB: EK oem JDM Visors

I love J-Cups

Member Array
    Car:
    '98 civic hatch
    I'm in a similar situation but a friend mentioned King Springs.

Any comments/reviews on these springs?

btw, loving the drops on those civics, espeically Lbarbz.

Also, got this from honda-tech.com - prices in USD.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2967448
    For $450 you're pretty much stuck with non-adjustable shocks and lowering springs.

I don't know what year/model civic you have so I'll asume it's a '96-'00. Either way, these setups are around the same price and performance for any model '92 to '00 civic.

Shocks:

Skunk2 Sport shocks. $300 Shipped on eBay. Seems like they can handle being pretty low but I've heard many mixed things about these shocks. Looks like a lot of people tend to run stiffer springs with these shocks. I'm personally not a HUGE fan of Skunk2 products but they aren't the worst.

Koni STR.T shocks. $300 shipped on eBay. Seems like these would be better suited with a fairly mild drop and on some fairly soft springs. Probably ideal for a comfortable street car and if you aren't really looking for killer handling. Koni makes great shocks and has an amazing reputation, I always recommend them.

Eibach Pro-Damper shocks. $300 shipped on eBay. I honestly haven't heard anything about these shocks. BUT, I do know Eibach makes some great suspension products and has a real good reputation. I have no idea how these shocks would ride but from their website, it seems these shocks can handle a fairly decent drop and fairly high spring rates.

Springs:

Tein S.Tech springs. $150 shipped on eBay. These are a very popular lowering spring.They offer a pretty good drop, around a 2" drop, a lot of people tend to like the stance they get from them. They also ride pretty smooth as they work well with stock and aftermarket shocks. These springs will do just fine with any of the shocks mentioned above. Although the Skunk2's might be the worst matched with these springs.

Eibach Sportline springs. $180 shipped on eBay. These have a decent drop, 1.6" drop, but are fairly stiff springs. You'll get better handling but the ride will most likely be more rough. For these springs I'd suggest getting the Eibach shocks since those shocks are probably better tailored for their own springs.

H&R Sport springs. $190 shipped on eBay. Similar drop to the Eibach Spotline springs, 1.5-1.75" drop, but these springs are a tiny bit stiffer than the Eibach Sportlines. Any of the shocks should work well with these but expect a fairly harsh ride compared to the other springs mentioned.

Progress Sport springs. $175 shipped on eBay. These offer a pretty mild drop, 1.5" all around. Progress is a great suspension company and has a good reputation. These springs have similar spring rates as the Tien S.Techs, they probably ride about the same but just don't lower as much. This would probably be the best street spring as they are soft and don't lower the car much. It would offer smooth handling, a little better performance over stock and you wont have to worry about scraping on anything. As with the Tein S.Tech, the Skunk2 shocks probably aren't the best with these springs.

Skunk2 Springs. $460 shipped on eBay for their shock/spring combo. These drop the car quite a bit, 2"-2.2", and are very stiff. This is quite an extreme spring setup and probably not the most comfortable ride for a street car. If you want to maximize your handling for cheap, this might be a decent setup. I imagine the Skunk2 shocks offer a harsh ride with most other springs because they are probably tailored for very stiff springs like their own. These would probably offer the least comfortable ride out of all mentioned.

Tokico Springs. Probably the cheapest if you can find them without shocks. These offer a very mild drop, 1.5" all around(similar to the Progress springs). They are very soft springs, a little stiffer than stock though. I do not know the spring rates but I have these springs on my daily driver. They offer a very comfortable ride on the street and with a mild drop I never worry about scraping on anything. They work great with stock shocks, the Tokico blue(OE replacement shocks) and would probably work best with the Koni STR.T.

A couple of other shocks are the Tokico HP and KYB GR2. These shocks are OE replacement shocks and would work well with the Tein S.Tech, Progress Sport and Tokico springs. These run anywhere from $200-300 for a set.

Hope that helps some.
    Last edited by vp17; 04-12-2011 at 01:42 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by vp17 View Post
    I'm in a similar situation but a friend mentioned King Springs.

Any comments/reviews on these springs?

btw, loving the drops on those civics, espeically Lbarbz.

Also, got this from honda-tech.com - prices in USD.
    http://honda-tech.com/showthread.php?t=2967448
    For $450 you're pretty much stuck with non-adjustable shocks and lowering springs.

I don't know what year/model civic you have so I'll asume it's a '96-'00. Either way, these setups are around the same price and performance for any model '92 to '00 civic.

Shocks:

Skunk2 Sport shocks. $300 Shipped on eBay. Seems like they can handle being pretty low but I've heard many mixed things about these shocks. Looks like a lot of people tend to run stiffer springs with these shocks. I'm personally not a HUGE fan of Skunk2 products but they aren't the worst.

Koni STR.T shocks. $300 shipped on eBay. Seems like these would be better suited with a fairly mild drop and on some fairly soft springs. Probably ideal for a comfortable street car and if you aren't really looking for killer handling. Koni makes great shocks and has an amazing reputation, I always recommend them.

Eibach Pro-Damper shocks. $300 shipped on eBay. I honestly haven't heard anything about these shocks. BUT, I do know Eibach makes some great suspension products and has a real good reputation. I have no idea how these shocks would ride but from their website, it seems these shocks can handle a fairly decent drop and fairly high spring rates.

Springs:

Tein S.Tech springs. $150 shipped on eBay. These are a very popular lowering spring.They offer a pretty good drop, around a 2" drop, a lot of people tend to like the stance they get from them. They also ride pretty smooth as they work well with stock and aftermarket shocks. These springs will do just fine with any of the shocks mentioned above. Although the Skunk2's might be the worst matched with these springs.

Eibach Sportline springs. $180 shipped on eBay. These have a decent drop, 1.6" drop, but are fairly stiff springs. You'll get better handling but the ride will most likely be more rough. For these springs I'd suggest getting the Eibach shocks since those shocks are probably better tailored for their own springs.

H&R Sport springs. $190 shipped on eBay. Similar drop to the Eibach Spotline springs, 1.5-1.75" drop, but these springs are a tiny bit stiffer than the Eibach Sportlines. Any of the shocks should work well with these but expect a fairly harsh ride compared to the other springs mentioned.

Progress Sport springs. $175 shipped on eBay. These offer a pretty mild drop, 1.5" all around. Progress is a great suspension company and has a good reputation. These springs have similar spring rates as the Tien S.Techs, they probably ride about the same but just don't lower as much. This would probably be the best street spring as they are soft and don't lower the car much. It would offer smooth handling, a little better performance over stock and you wont have to worry about scraping on anything. As with the Tein S.Tech, the Skunk2 shocks probably aren't the best with these springs.

Skunk2 Springs. $460 shipped on eBay for their shock/spring combo. These drop the car quite a bit, 2"-2.2", and are very stiff. This is quite an extreme spring setup and probably not the most comfortable ride for a street car. If you want to maximize your handling for cheap, this might be a decent setup. I imagine the Skunk2 shocks offer a harsh ride with most other springs because they are probably tailored for very stiff springs like their own. These would probably offer the least comfortable ride out of all mentioned.

Tokico Springs. Probably the cheapest if you can find them without shocks. These offer a very mild drop, 1.5" all around(similar to the Progress springs). They are very soft springs, a little stiffer than stock though. I do not know the spring rates but I have these springs on my daily driver. They offer a very comfortable ride on the street and with a mild drop I never worry about scraping on anything. They work great with stock shocks, the Tokico blue(OE replacement shocks) and would probably work best with the Koni STR.T.

A couple of other shocks are the Tokico HP and KYB GR2. These shocks are OE replacement shocks and would work well with the Tein S.Tech, Progress Sport and Tokico springs. These run anywhere from $200-300 for a set.

Hope that helps some.
    This helped alot for me, thanks alot vp17! I was planning on getting the Tokico Shocks and Tien springs (lay back around $600USD) which drop by 1.9F and 1.7R and i was wondering if it'll be a good height preferably like 10cm from the ground up to my type R lip. My stock height sits like this

Does anybody have any suggestions for ride height on an EJ8? Thanks guys

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    since were on the topic of optimum drop, heres my old setup on kings low...

Im not sure on the drop but it was definate 2 finger gap all around, but remember its also the size of the rim and package which also effect the over all ride height, not just shocks/springs.

I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    since were on the topic of optimum drop, heres my old setup on kings low...

Im not sure on the drop but it was definate 2 finger gap all around, but remember its also the size of the rim and package which also effect the over all ride height, not just shocks/springs.

Oh that looks fine, but are you serious thats kings low? o.o It looks like superlows. But yeah i got 15" Axis Og rims (from jdmyard) with 195/50 tyres that i will be installing in about 2-3 weeks time. The current stock ones i have in the pics are 14" so i assume with the wheels and tyres coming in soon a 1.5"-2" drop all round would be fine?

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    Oh that looks fine, but are you serious thats kings low? o.o It looks like superlows. But yeah i got 15" Axis Og rims (from jdmyard) with 195/50 tyres that i will be installing in about 2-3 weeks time. The current stock ones i have in the pics are 14" so i assume with the wheels and tyres coming in soon a 1.5"-2" drop all round would be fine?
    yeah just lows, super lows drops it much more than that, if i recall its just lil over a finger gap, and than super lows is tires touching guards.

As far as ur specs go, they should be fine, but it really depends on ur rim specs, if they are 15X8 +25 and tires, than u prbs might need guard rolling to be safe, but someone else can clarify on that..... But the ride height shouldnt change that much

But the more low u go, the more risk of blowing shocks, and loosing ride comfort. I personally loved the lows, as they were perfect for dd, smooth and comfortable. But if u want more performance, imo, go the tein Stech, there more suitable for the occasional squirt.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    yeah just lows, super lows drops it much more than that, if i recall its just lil over a finger gap, and than super lows is tires touching guards.

As far as ur specs go, they should be fine, but it really depends on ur rim specs, if they are 15X8 +25 and tires, than u prbs might need guard rolling to be safe, but someone else can clarify on that..... But the ride height shouldnt change that much

But the more low u go, the more risk of blowing shocks, and loosing ride comfort. I personally loved the lows, as they were perfect for dd, smooth and comfortable. But if u want more performance, imo, go the tein Stech, there more suitable for the occasional squirt.
    Yeah they are 15x8 +25. And i was thinking of going with the tien stechs like i said (drops F1.9" R1.7") along with tokico hp shocks. So i assume it should be alright along with the 15x8 +25 rims. I don't plan on going to low as i wanna drive without worrying about the fact of scraping my lip lol. Saw it at JDM meetup and i was like nahh thats too low for me lol

Member Array
    Car:
    DB6
    hey guys i just photo shopped this

running 14" steelies with like something tyres lol forgot the size , i pretty much want this height. can anyone tell me what drop this would be ?

did not want to make a new thread dont want any finger gaps just sitting perfect

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    Yeah they are 15x8 +25. And i was thinking of going with the tien stechs like i said (drops F1.9" R1.7") along with tokico hp shocks. So i assume it should be alright along with the 15x8 +25 rims. I don't plan on going to low as i wanna drive without worrying about the fact of scraping my lip lol. Saw it at JDM meetup and i was like nahh thats too low for me lol
    should be fine man, if u really love ur lip, u would never lower it an than use it as a DD LOL....

Quote Originally Posted by viinnh View Post
    hey guys i just photo shopped this

running 14" steelies with like something tyres lol forgot the size , i pretty much want this height. can anyone tell me what drop this would be ?

did not want to make a new thread dont want any finger gaps just sitting perfect
    thats like kings super lows or ultra low, one of the two lol.... atleast 3-3.5 inch drop??? not sure lol, but running them springs is pushing the boundaries of any oem shockers... to even run a ride height like that safely u would defs need good shocks designed for low ride height, and not just any type of after market shockers...

maybe koni shockers + koni GC coil sleeves is what ur looking for, an for that price, even entry level coilovers is even another alternative.
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    should be fine man, if u really love ur lip, u would never lower it an than use it as a DD LOL.....
    LOL! okay alright thanks for the tip (Y) hahaha

Do the stockies actually stick out that much? If so, how!? I wanna slam my ek1 on black stockies.

Member Array
    Car:
    Dap Ek
    Quote Originally Posted by nguyenimproved View Post
    Do the stockies actually stick out that much? If so, how!? I wanna slam my ek1 on black stockies.
    spacers or rebarrel ur stockies