Member Array
    Car:
    NSX52K
    Get a S2000, you'll have no regrets =)

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by stndrd View Post
    Have you got the dyno sheets to back up your words?
    Nope. And it's not even worth my time to compile the almost infinite examples of people getting single digit (if any) improvement from IHE on S2000. I'll tell ya what. For every example of someone making 20rwkw from IHE on a S2000 I'll find you 10 MX5's improving there output byt he same. Your move.

Member Array
    Car:
    Kermit K20A
    I was referring to an S2000 making more power gains from I/H/E than an MX5. I would have thought that an MX5 would have seen slightly better gains than an S2000 seeing how you are allowing the little 1.6L to breath alot easier. I personally already understand how finely tuned an S2000 is from factory, but alot of the new comers don't
    Kermit EGK20A
    Winton: 1:35.08
    Wakefield: 1:08.8

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Camira
    mx5 is weaksauce..great car but no power. Especially witht he 1.6lt.

No point having a perfectly balanced car if it does the quarter in 22secs. S2000 hands down.

Not sure about mx5, but the s2k is pretty optimal from factory. Mods in NA form dont usaully yield much power.
    Club EM1 Represents - member 01 of 01

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    OP my best advise Pro-S2000 is to take one for a test drive, because a lot deciding a car is the first hand experience, try and find one that is modded to your liking as this will make your
    life much easier in the long run. Dont be afraid of mods, Modded-taken care of cars are sometimes much better than a stock car which has been neglected and abused.

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by itrungs View Post
    +1

I kind of need a test drive to settle this.

Also, I tend to check out the modified cars first. They're usually from an enthusiast who's taken extra care of it despite driving it hard here and there.
    If you're track orientated...

From memory when my friend had his MX-5, alot of the MX-5 club had alot of trouble breaking into the sub-2 minute mark at Philip Island. I think only modded turbo NBs made it to 1:58 or there abouts? Others didn't even come close. But that's a fairly high speed track. In comparison, a lightly modded S2K with R-specs should be able to manage around the same time.
    Even on a average lower speed track, like Winton - my friend with his NA MX-5 had R-specs, coilovers and I/E managed a 1:44 or there abouts? A stock S2K with R-specs can get 1:42. Reasonably experienced drivers mind you.

I've driven his car and it's alot of fun to drive but it's not a competitive/fast car out of the box by any means. That said, go all out on it and I've seen a Turbo NA MX-5 put Evos at Winton to shame. To go all out on a S2K WILL cost you alot of money. I have no idea why but after I came from a Nissan, modding the Honda was ridiculously expensive. But that said, parts are getting cheaper with "copy" brands lying about.. if you don't mind that sort of thing.

And as mentioned already, drive it first. No point in analysing specifications if you can't fall in love with it

sell my your mx5 after!

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    Lets be fair to the mx5 as far as laptimes go,we're talking about a huge power defecit

Member Array
    Car:
    legtec @2psi
    Quote Originally Posted by niiCk View Post
    sell my your mx5 after!

Member Array
    Car:
    AP1 S2000
    Quote Originally Posted by EKVTIR-T View Post
    Lets be fair to the mx5 as far as laptimes go,we're talking about a huge power defecit
    Of course but the MX-5 is also lighter

Having thrashes both around the track and on the road It takes a better driver to make a s2k go well.It's a peaky motor that needs to be held high rpms.A mx5 is a much easier car to push....which for 99% of you guys on here makes it a quicker more useable car. Just my opinion.

Member Array
    Car:
    CU2, GD3
    Not sure if it was a serious race but consider these drivers from BMI racing it out with stock cars

S2000 just dominates!