Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by khanguskhan View Post
    I had a word with Ray from Auto Racing Technik/Technik Tuning regarding this. He will check if he has any pre fabricated sets of the rx7 kits left over.

They have tested this setup on EK's and dc2r's, on the track, and have found better results from Nissan 4 pots.
    Funny think is, before I design go to Rx7 brake calipers, the engineering guy got a Nissan R33 gt-st 4 pots calipers on sale. After he have look how much time and effort going doing the fabrication into the Ek. He said" I better off with the Rx7 calipers, it going to be a lot easy to do the fabrication. Performance compare Rx7 calipers to Nissan R33 gt-st caliper they are not much of the difference. The only difference is Nissan calipers I have to use Nissan oem brake rotors size cannot go any smaller and that is become the issues. Example the height of the brake rotors, the thickness of the brake rotors and the most problem is the Centre Hole Dia. I believe Auto Racing Technik should already overcome with these problem. You said "they already do a test on the car before. Just out of interest, how much are they charging to do a Nissan 4 pots conversion on a Ek?

Quote Originally Posted by lil_foy View Post
    lol, you're still going to have the same braking as a dc2r/ek9 setup with the rx7 calipers, all you'll have is better heat control and more even pressure across the pad.
    Rx7 calipers setup same as a dc2r/ek9 setup. I don't know about that. I believe no one in here had a Rx7 calipers setup. So how do you found out they're the same performance. Have you found out a link in the net, some one already done a test for it? please link up here if you do. So everyone can see it Thank. I do agree it going to be better heat control and more even pressure across the pad.

Quote Originally Posted by pat88c View Post
    I would say less than dc2r/ek9 as you going have less surface area but as you said lil_foy tiny bit better heat control and better brake pressure

I know dc2r/ek9 brakes are cast iron, heavy
    Are rx7 brakes alloy? Bit lighter?

That the only reason I do it (less upsprung weight) but then again I would just stay with 262mm da9 setup I have atm with good pads and disc
    In you case it upgrade ek4 262mm
    enough said by me but ask all the k series eg ad ek what brake use most will say dc2r setup
    I when to the brake engineering shop today, and I did ask him about the size of the two difference brake pads, is going to be much difference in performance. He look at me and said "No". He said "about the same". But he also said "single piston vs 4 pistons". He go for 4 pistons any day.

Weight difference I don't know. Just not really interest me, but I can found out for you.

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    All were saying is, it might not be as cheap as you would think as opposed to going the ek9/itr swap....and again, its been proven once.. track/hill climb, remember, its also the brake pad u use that is a major factor to the stopping power, anything that needs custom fabrication is gonna be costly, weather its cnc milling, or custom weld job thats designed to with stand enormousness brake pressure

Its just less headaches... for the trouble ur goin through, using rx7 brakes is pretty pointless on a ek, as u pointed out earlier, the 282mm ek9/itr/crv brakes are infact designed to stop a 1500kg car, not 1000kg

Unless the cars gonna b a stripped out track car with more than 200kw, than id consider using this method, if it was cheaper than wilwood/spoon setup over the dc2r setup
    I <3 BOOST! D16+T SOHC

I personally use a 282 dc2r setup with good pads and rotors, they overpower my tyres (205 RSR) so easy, personally I doubt he'd be using the extra heat benifits anyways.

OP just get some crv/prelude calipers (same as dc2r) and some decent rotors and pads, they will function just as good as rx7 brakes and you'll have less mucking around trying to get them to fit.
    You don't have to doubt about I am not using the extra heat benefits. I can tell you now. I will and I need it. I don't drive like a gran mum. People who know me in personal. They know how I drive.

Quote Originally Posted by mugen_ctr View Post
    All were saying is, it might not be as cheap as you would think as opposed to going the ek9/itr swap....and again, its been proven once.. track/hill climb, remember, its also the brake pad u use that is a major factor to the stopping power, anything that needs custom fabrication is gonna be costly, weather its cnc milling, or custom weld job thats designed to with stand enormousness brake pressure

Its just less headaches... for the trouble ur goin through, using rx7 brakes is pretty pointless on a ek, as u pointed out earlier, the 282mm ek9/itr/crv brakes are infact designed to stop a 1500kg car, not 1000kg

Unless the cars gonna b a stripped out track car with more than 200kw, than id consider using this method, if it was cheaper than wilwood/spoon setup over the dc2r setup
    As I said" if the Rx7 setup is going to be too costly. I will go for the ek9/itr/crv brakes setup. Take a guess how much do you think going to cost me for the Rx7 brake setup in a brake performance engineering shop. Remind you one think, this setup is going to be ADR approve. I did think about second hand spoon calipers, but is it ADR approve. Can someone confirm that.

Quote Originally Posted by xeno View Post
    Funny think is, before I design go to Rx7 brake calipers, the engineering guy got a Nissan R33 gt-st 4 pots calipers on sale. After he have look how much time and effort going doing the fabrication into the Ek. He said" I better off with the Rx7 calipers, it going to be a lot easy to do the fabrication. Performance compare Rx7 calipers to Nissan R33 gt-st caliper they are not much of the difference. The only difference is Nissan calipers I have to use Nissan oem brake rotors size cannot go any smaller and that is become the issues. Example the height of the brake rotors, the thickness of the brake rotors and the most problem is the Centre Hole Dia. I believe Auto Racing Technik should already overcome with these problem. You said "they already do a test on the car before. Just out of interest, how much are they charging to do a Nissan 4 pots conversion on a Ek?
    I will find out for you. Fabrication wasn't an issue for them. The picture in the link is one of their latest fabrications. Aston Martin DB9 6 pot Alcon Caliper + brembo 356mm rotor on 17 inch Rims Subaru STi. CUSTOM BY AutoRacingTechnik Australia
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1212958_n.jpg

Member Array
    Car:
    Dc2 + EG
    Rx7 calipers setup same as a dc2r/ek9 setup. I don't know about that. I believe no one in here had a Rx7 calipers setup. So how do you found out they're the same performance. Have you found out a link in the net, some one already done a test for it? please link up here if you do. So everyone can see it Thank. I do agree it going to be better heat control and more even pressure across the pad.
    You're using a 282 rotor still, you're still going to have the same rotational torque, and as someone stated, rx7 pads have less surface area apparently anyways..

You don't have to doubt about I am not using the extra heat benefits. I can tell you now. I will and I need it. I don't drive like a gran mum. People who know me in personal. They know how I drive.
    Im curious, what setup do you have atm, what engine combo do you have? I doubt you'd be able to push a dc2r setup to the limit tbh.

Quote Originally Posted by khanguskhan View Post
    I will find out for you. Fabrication wasn't an issue for them. The picture in the link is one of their latest fabrications. Aston Martin DB9 6 pot Alcon Caliper + brembo 356mm rotor on 17 inch Rims Subaru STi. CUSTOM BY AutoRacingTechnik Australia
    http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot..._1212958_n.jpg
    Of course fabrication wasn't an issue. Just matters if worth the money and effort in the end. I can get a Ap racing setup if I willing to spend around $2G. I already got a quote from a work shop.

You're using a 282 rotor still, you're still going to have the same rotational torque, and as someone stated, rx7 pads have less surface area apparently anyways..

Im curious, what setup do you have atm, what engine combo do you have? I doubt you'd be able to push a dc2r setup to the limit tbh.
    You don't have to doubt I cannot push the dc2r setup to the limit, beside you don't need big power to push the brake system. I race my Rx7 Fc on the track. I know how to push the brake to the limit. As I said before, I did tried the Ek4 with Ek9 brake setup. I know how good are they.

The Rx7 brake pad had less surface area than the Dc2r surface area because it doesn't need it. During the number of pistons difference, if you know what I mean. Put in this way, I see a lot of Aftermarket upgrade 4,6,8 pistons calipers kit. I never see a Aftermarket Large single piston caliper upgrade kit. If you can find it, let me know. I don't think there are many.

Just like I pointed out earlier before, the Rx7 calipers was design for a heavier car plus the car had a turbo. I really don't see why the Rx7 setup going to be worst than the Ek9/Dc2r setup. Just common sense.

Right now I'm using 4 pots on 300mm at the fronts. This was a kit made by ART for DC5 and DC2s. my stock DC2R brakes had ZERO problems in stopping my car, mainly due to my car not really seeing anything higher than 160-170. And after I had these 4 pots put in, which ART rate the build quality and performance better than the rx7's tested. I'm an amateur at driving, but the amount of self induced over steering happens really easily, on straights too.

The stopping power I get is awesome, but it really is overwhelming, I'm in the process of getting a gurney and brake biasing valve to deal with this problem. And sadly, I'm not even using ART's way more aggressive custom pads for it.

My knowledge is balls compared to you guys. But for me straight up it's like this, when do you need 4 pots? When your car is over a certain weight e.g 1200kg, gets up to 170km/h, you slam the brakes, and you're getting really shit clamp on your current brakes. So we 4 pot that sh*t.

So if you are really pushing it that much and need that much more clamping power than yea. But just saying, it doesn't feel good straight away, just making sure you know that what you're getting is very overpowering, hence why lot of the guys here are recommending much more reasonable options. That are meant to be enough for your usage.

Member Array
    Car:
    hehe
    How much power are you making? don't tell me youre rocking a d series lol.