Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    I think a supercharger will cost something like 10k i'd imagine. (on the higher side of things).

But you'll need to wait for oen to be developed.

and it won't be half as reliable as what it once was

have you done a supercharge before? $10k is alot aND I would hope that a massive gain would be produced. How much gain with that?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    Quote Originally Posted by vtegra View Post
    have you done a supercharge before? $10k is alot aND I would hope that a massive gain would be produced. How much gain with that?
    You are missing the point, what you are trying to do here is the equivalent of trying to supercharge a Toyota Prius, it's a losin battle no matter what you do. It's not meant to be a fast car, R-series is not meant to be a growling Monster that was H and K series.

This post from Honda 8th gen forum (US) sums it up nicely:
    You'd be better off selling the car and buying another one. I don't understand why someone with such a lust for power didn't get the Si to begin with? Swapping a K20, then turbo charging it will probably put you into the 26 grand range. You'd be better off buying a used FI car.
    2003 CL9 5AT *ECU REFLASHED*
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    lol, i understand. Im not trying to make it a 300kw car like HSV

I just wanted a bit more grunt with the vtec noticeable.

So my thoughts were to give it a tune and intake system and maybe an exhaust with a deep sound if possible but if not just the intake system

so how much for an intake system and a tune is what I think im looking for now. How much $$ and how much kw is possible with this?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    You are missing the point, what you are trying to do here is the equivalent of trying to supercharge a Toyota Prius, it's a losin battle no matter what you do. It's not meant to be a fast car, R-series is not meant to be a growling Monster that was H and K series.

This post from Honda 8th gen forum (US) sums it up nicely:

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    There's only 1 mob I'm aware of that tunes the R20 (EUDM).

They are in Greece iirc..... 20hp gain was why they claims

Even with all the usual bolton mods and tune I recken you'll be lucky to hit 125kw at the crank.

Considering the lack of aftermarket support, a lot of the parts would need to be custom fabricated.
    ... You'll probably be looking at blowing 3grand for 15kw...

Here's some interesting info for lols:
    To briefly recap, in terms of the camshaft/valve-train, this implementation is basically that used in the 'power' SOHC-VTEC implementation of the old D-Series, e.g. the 130ps SOHC VTEC D15B used on the EG and EK Civics. However, Honda R&D engineers brings a new twist to this implementation. In the old D-Series implementation, a middle cam-lobe works on the intake valves and offers higher valve lift and longer opening duration, to generate more power at high rpms. In the R-Series i-VTEC implementation, the middle cam lobe is again bigger than the standard cam-lobes. However it is now an 'economy cam' lobe instead. In an unusual reversal of roles, by making the intake valve opening duration extremely long, the lobe holds the intake cam open way into the piston up-stroke portion of the cycle. In operation, this will expel a portion of the air-fuel mixture back into the intake manifold. It's like overfilling a bucket with water and then pouring away the excess fluid in order to get just the amount we want.

With this technique, the desired amount of air-fuel mixture is obtained in the combustion chambers without the need for an almost closed throttle butterfly. In fact, the throttle body butterfly can be kept fully opened and is effectively dispensed with, in the SOHC i-VTEC economy mode. This reduces pumping losses significantly and improves engine efficiency and thus fuel economy.
    So somehow Honda managed to make the R-series a less performance oriented, More economical D-series!

Who who has the "d15b you wouldn't understand" needs a new motto:
    "R20A you wouldnt understand...." cause hell, at least the D has a more performance oriented cam... R o f l
    Last edited by Fredoops; 19-04-2012 at 11:52 PM.
    CT-E Icebox|Ralco RZ pulleys|K&N filter|DC Header|250cell Cat|Cusco Tower & H Brace| H.Drive Coilovers | Rays RE30 18x8.5 | S/S Brakelines | Rigid Collars

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    ok, do you know if an intake system will make a nice sound at high revs?

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    These guys are saying at least 15kw with exhaust and intake system
    http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines...-engine-2.html

and much more if With a camshaft+racing catalysator and stuff about piggy back to get 7400rpm

interesting, I wonder if any good honda mechanics out there in melbourne can do something for me.

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    ok, do you know if an intake system will make a nice sound at high revs?
    Don't think anyone makes those yet, maybe check if a CAI for R18A (FD civic) would fit in the R20A.

These guys are saying at least 15kw with exhaust and intake system
    http://www.civinfo.com/forum/engines...-engine-2.html

and much more if With a camshaft+racing catalysator and stuff about piggy back to get 7400rpm

interesting, I wonder if any good honda mechanics out there in melbourne can do something for me.
    R20 is already an improved version of the R18, so you need to cancel that out.
    Last edited by Fredoops; 20-04-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    Il check it out, and come to think of it, By putting an intake system... Will it damage the new engine? or should I wait until I hit 2-5000ks?

Member Array
    Car:
    '03 Euro [CL9]
    If you read on you'd find those people gave up and installed a turbocharger instead....

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    LOL very last post. Yeh a turbo would be mad to do.
    I know modproject are very good, il speak to them and see what they can do.

Quote Originally Posted by Fredoops View Post
    If you read on you'd find those people gave up and installed a turbocharger instead....

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    have a read how the R series vtec works seriously, you will not ever hear a cam change because vtec 'high cam' doesn't ever engage unless your cruising.

I think it's important that you understand these things first before trying and then getting upset over why it's not working

Il check it out, and come to think of it, By putting an intake system... Will it damage the new engine? or should I wait until I hit 2-5000ks?
    i doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to let the engine break in first anyway for good measure. And i think it'll sound great as an intake always does
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

Member Array
    Car:
    B20 DA9 INTEGRA
    So If I were to put an intake system I wouldnt hear the difference when hitting vtec?

Quote Originally Posted by curtis265 View Post
    have a read how the R series vtec works seriously, you will not ever hear a cam change because vtec 'high cam' doesn't ever engage unless your cruising.

I think it's important that you understand these things first before trying and then getting upset over why it's not working

i doubt it, but it's probably a good idea to let the engine break in first anyway for good measure. And i think it'll sound great as an intake always does