Member Array
    Car:
    Integra

Thoughts on various dc2 intakes

Hey guys, would like to know your opinions on various intakes on a dc2 vtir with stock itr header and catback. What would be the best bang for buck intake in terms of gains in mid to high rpm band + sound mean out of

- eBay special CAI or SR
    - fujita CAI or SR
    - injen CAI or SR
    - aem v2, CAI or SR
    - k&n FIPK
    - stock airbox with PVC piping (icebox style)
    - or any other intakes you guys recommend?
    Cheers!
    Last edited by skeptic_; 30-08-2012 at 12:56 AM.

The injen, fujita and aem CAI intakes are basically the same, just different high performance filter on the end of them. These ones have the most aggresive VTEC induction noise. As they have the ability to take in colder air than the others, they can be better in lower and mid rpm.

I am a fan of the Icebox design. I have a comptech, looks stock, minimises heat soak, minimises chance of hydrolock but VTEC does not sound as epic as the above. I think power gains are through the entire rev range

stock airbox with PVC piping (DIY type) would be most cost effective. But to be honest, i doubt you will notice any BIG differences apart from sound from either intakes.

The SR designs unless shielded will take in a fair bit of heat soak from the engine. Will improve throttle response and peak power, but low and mid torque will suffer.

Lots of info on this if you want to search for more.

A tuned length intake would be the ultimate intake bolt on.

The below link gives you excellent info on where SR and CAI work better in certain rpms:

http://www.aveoforum.com/forum/f82/c...m-intake-9955/
    Last edited by infurNOS; 30-08-2012 at 02:44 AM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    I used stock ITR box with 4 inch hose getting cold air from bumper/ Ram affect with K&N drop in filter. I think its just as good as the mugen intake!

Member Array
    Car:
    S2000
    Got injen cai here, best bang for buck. Try and get them 2nd hand if yu wanna save abit of cash

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    EBay CAI or PVC piping running into OEM box.

Save your $$$!

Just a thought

Most if not all aftermarket air intakes will produce the same extra oomph through increased sensation of speed ( ie extra noise). They will all not increase actual power. Just slightly pull up or drag down your power band :0)

In saying that- most people go for the injen style for a nice intake noise

Moderator Array
    Car:
    '90 EF8/'94 EH9
    Drive with earmuffs on, see if you notice a difference in power without hearing a pod filter. Srs. Anti-BS device.

Member Array
    Car:
    RB1 & GTR33V
    ^^"like"
    RB1-ODC

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    Quote Originally Posted by JDM DC2R View Post
    I used stock ITR box with 4 inch hose getting cold air from bumper/ Ram affect with K&N drop in filter. I think its just as good as the mugen intake!
    Did the same here... I cut the bottom of the ITR box out to the 4 inch hole otherwise you are reducing the volume capacity of the system to a size smaller then the throttle body which theoretically creates a less efficient intake...

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Webby_roller View Post
    Did the same here... I cut the bottom of the ITR box out to the 4 inch hole otherwise you are reducing the volume capacity of the system to a size smaller then the throttle body which theoretically creates a less efficient intake...

The Oval hole on the stock Dc2R box is actually 4". I used 4 inch hose squeezed it to a oval shape and used a 4" joining adapter! Fitted perfectly

Member Array
    Car:
    dc2 vtir
    yeah but once you squash the circle it stops being a circle and the surface area isnt the same it begins to equate to that similar of a rectangle.... i worked it out when I made it so cant remember what the values were but it just went ahead and cut it out.... either way will work though...

Quote Originally Posted by Webby_roller View Post
    yeah but once you squash the circle it stops being a circle and the surface area isnt the same it begins to equate to that similar of a rectangle.... i worked it out when I made it so cant remember what the values were but it just went ahead and cut it out.... either way will work though...
    We are talking untuned road cars here - it makes little to no difference whatever the shape of the intake is - the engine "sucks" the same amount of air in regardless.
    Another real world example - my previous EG with standard dc2r engine was almost the same kw @ the wheels , and same 1/4mile ET and trap speed with 3 different intakes - standard ek4 intake arm +box (chopped off resonator), standard dc2r intake arm + box +resonator and injen to suit DC2R. Its all about noise guys !