Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Exhaust popping

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra

Exhaust popping

Hey guys i got a skunk2 mega power professionally installed 2 weeks ago ~ but since the installment some times when i accelerate or put my foot off the gas and then accelerate it makes popping noises. Is this normal or does my exhaust have a leak? It also pops some times on deceleration as well, Thank you ~ i also have to add that the popping is much more frequent after i filled up with 95 instead of the usual bp 98 this week.
    Last edited by kans; 07-11-2012 at 04:37 PM.

IS the popping definetly coming from the muffler, or more from the engine bay?

How does the car idle? Do you have a check engine light?

I would start by checking for vacuum leaks by inspecting ALL hoses and also spark plugs for possible mis fire.
    Last edited by infurNOS; 07-11-2012 at 05:18 PM.
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    DC5R
    Backfire?

Member Array
    Car:
    Toyota Soarer
    running rich?
    Users I've upset: EKVTIR-T | Renaissance_x | Integra-GSi | Stevil | vteckiller | dyln_bxtr | zedries | joyride | eren | Brian FD2R | AusS2000 | amant02 - II | CRXDEL501 | Indie | UiK | mnc | neut

Member Array
    Car:
    Flying Carpet
    happens to me to , i love it , it goes HK when engine is warm , i think it's because we haz le exhaust
    SingleCammerJammer

Is it a quiet popping or a loud backfire?

After installing a catback on my DA9 it occasionally "pops" when I shift or decelerate, nothing serious.

My old SSS used to backfire when changing, running too rich.

Member Array
    Car:
    hondie 2000
    You might be running lean - does this acceleration popping happen on startup or once the engine's warm?

Popping on lift off is normal - it's your ECU cutting out the spark to combustion chamber and dumping the fuel into the exhaust. This kinda popping is good.
    S P A M | W O R K S
    hehe.
    PHC

if it's running rich youll notice that over a short amount of time there is a lot of black dust on the exhaust and a little bit on rear bar

IF it's running rich you change o2 sensors or reset ecu.

Member Array
    Car:
    Integra
    Definitely coming from the muffler, car idles fine around 900. Will check spark plugs tomorrow
    i think it might be running lean ~ the smell of petrol is strong, also loud back fire

Quote Originally Posted by kans View Post
    Definitely coming from the muffler, car idles fine around 900. Will check spark plugs tomorrow
    i think it might be running lean ~ the smell of petrol is strong, also loud back fire
    then it is running rich, common when bolt on mods are installed without a tune
    EG

Member Array
    Car:
    your mum
    just about to say.

reset ECU is the easiest thing to do, and some times it will cure the problem.

to reset ECU,
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=ecu

or just to check the ECU for codes.
    http://www.ozhonda.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=ecu

Quote Originally Posted by Winter View Post
    if it's running rich youll notice that over a short amount of time there is a lot of black dust on the exhaust and a little bit on rear bar

IF it's running rich you change o2 sensors or reset ecu.

Member Array
    Car:
    s2000
    probably wrong but,

do you have a silencer? i had a cannon on an itr that would pop, but it had a silencer built into it. so the opening from the muffler was actually tiny even though the tip looked massive. the popping was from decel to accel. changing the exaust fixed it, though i never viewed it as a problem in the first place. so yeh, may be because of a silencer or the design of the exaust