Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Who deems the cars? Insurance companies?
    Does this mean if a non-insured car is crashed and has structural damage, it can be bought/salvaged by a DIY panel beater and sold off?

Member Array
    Car:
    lownslowsedan
    Yeah, the insurance company/panel beater registers it with the RTA

So if you crash it out in the middle of nowhere, and you were doing something stupid, and insurance won't cover, or you don't have insurance, you can fix it, and it'll never be known.

However, if its got serious structural damage, these things will be picked up by mechanics, or people who are switched on.

For example, a month or so ago there was an s15 Silvia for sale, cheap.

Wasn't on the database for repairable write offs, however on inspection, you could see where a new roof had been put on, Coz the welding and paint was shit, and you could see inside the boot, where the floor had been dodgy fixed.
    to see all of my build, checkout

This is what makes buying old performance cars such a gamble I guess.
    I've heard of some horror stories where two halves of separate cars were welded together to make one.
    Last edited by spetz; 21-12-2012 at 08:13 AM. Reason: Spelling

Member Array
    Car:
    BB AP1
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz View Post
    This is what makes buying old performance cars such a gamble I guess.
    I've heard of some horror stories where to halves of separate cars were welded together to make one.
    I heard this story too Haha
    "A good tunning car has to be something you can take out to the streets. The car must be fun, fast, safe on all road condition "
    Keiichi Tsuchiya~

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    i had a mate who bought a dc4 of a leb couple years ago, recently found out that almost half his car was smashed and welded back on. Smash repairs done a pretty dam good job at welding everything back in though.

Quote Originally Posted by mattsrea View Post
    i had a mate who bought a dc4 of a leb couple years ago, recently found out that almost half his car was smashed and welded back on. Smash repairs done a pretty dam good job at welding everything back in though.
    This must have happened when the car was worth a lot more though? What would be the point of wasting so many hours for a cheap old car.

Member Array
    Car:
    porsche boxster
    You never know when the repairs occured when its dodgy bitnis

Imagine all the dangerous lemons out there on the roads and the buyer had no idea

Member Array
    Car:
    Civic EJ8
    Quote Originally Posted by spetz View Post
    This must have happened when the car was worth a lot more though? What would be the point of wasting so many hours for a cheap old car.
    Honestly i have no idea man.