Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tacho install

Member Array
    Car:
    17 HR-V VTi-S
    Quote Originally Posted by muhhan View Post

12. The power and light wires can be tapped into any wire that is live when the car is on, ie. Key is in ON position, and when the dash lights are on respectively. To avoid having to cut into any wires and potentially the wrong wires I chose to connect my power and light wires to the under-dash fuse box. Just above the top row of fuses there are several sockets, hopefully the ones you need are empty, with male spade connectors. The second one from the left is for additional dash light accessories, that is it will be live when the dash lights are turned on. Connect the lights wire to this one. The far right port is for IGN2 that, according to the service manual, is live when the key is in ON position but not START. Connect your power wire to this one.
    hey, just one question.. i dont have the service manual so i dunno..

my Tacho screen is full blank. (black, and u cant see n e numbers.. just all blank and black) when off... so even during the daytime it needs to have light in order for me to see the tacho.. so hence i shouldnt connect it to the same place you connected it bcoz your tacho has the numbers and stuff printed onto the tacho and u only require light at night when you turn on your head lights right?.. well for me i need the tacho to light up when i turn on the engine..
    so you know where i plug my light cable into?

thanks =)

Member Array
    Car:
    CE Lancer
    Same thing as in the manual.

What happens is that the tacho uses the accessory lights to light up the display. Meaning that as soon as the car is running the display works.

The lights wire is for night driving. Otherwise it would be too dim to see.
    See a good post? - PQ it

What is it that keeps drawing me back to Hondas??

Member Array
    Car:
    17 HR-V VTi-S
    even if the dash light is off.. my tacho light needs to be on !!

so my tacho light needs to be on all the time regardless if dashlight is on or off...

r u sure its the same ?

Ninja turtle Array
    Car:
    Chloe
    I like! Great diy.
    --------------------------------------
    Stocky CL9 - 1:17.2

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    TypeRice, did you get my PM reply I sent you. Check out these links.

http://img85.imageshack.us/my.php?im...socketsdt0.jpg
    http://img150.imageshack.us/my.php?i...ntinuitpt6.jpg

These are from the service manual. I'll save you the work of having to search through that phat document (it's over 1000pages long).

The first image is of the underdash fusebox. It is like a simplified map of the photo you quoted. The second link is of a picture that shows which circuit is complete when the key is turned to the different positions. If you want power to be going to the tacho all the time then I would put a piggyback connector on the IGN2 port (the one with the red wire in the photo) so that both the power for the light and the tacho itself will be running off the same port. What this will mean is that whenever the tacho is on the light will be on. The piggyback connector is a female spade connector with a male spade connector coming off the back so you can plug another female spade connector into it.

Are you completely sure the face needs the light on all the time for the face to be visible (ie the power for the face is connected to the light wire and not the power wire)? At any rate if you find that you actually don't need the light on all the time because the internal wiring of the tacho is such that the 'light' that makes the face visible is connected to the power wire instead of the light wire then you can always unplug it and put it on the dashlight port (ie follow my original wiring).

Hope that helps. Anymore questions just holla at me.
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Member Array
    Car:
    17 HR-V VTi-S
    im not sure if the face needs the light all the time, but tomorow i will find out when i install the tacho =).. and i hope the power for the light is also in the power cable.. then it would b staight forward in just following your examples =))

you know how you screwed 2 holes?? i dont have a hole driller thing.. so im just gonna use double sided tape.. =))

Member Array
    Car:
    EH and EK
    if your in sydney, i'm pretty sure that any gauge mounted on the pillar is defect..

Member Array
    Car:
    17 HR-V VTi-S
    Quote Originally Posted by NEED VTEC View Post
    if your in sydney, i'm pretty sure that any gauge mounted on the pillar is defect..
    no its not !!

it just cant b mounted high up coz they say you could hit your head on it in an accident.. but if its low like on those pics then its legal..

Type Rice, I think your tacho lights up when it gets a signal from the ignition, and then when you turn on the headlights it actually dims down slighty so its not blindly bright at night time. Similar to the clock on your dash.

Just wire it up as per normal/what the instructions say. I'm sure the company the made the tacho took this into account when designing the product.

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ek4 VTIR
    Hey Muhhan

Got the tacho install by using your DIY ... you are a legend....
    and the light are working fine now...

Tachometer brand
    Speco

Last edited by cvicek; 15-08-2007 at 10:08 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    EK CiviC
    Nice work! Glad you found the DIY useful. What was the problem with the light? And where did you end up grounding it?
    Project Civic777 - obsession for achievement

Newcomer Array
    Car:
    Honda Civic Ek4 VTIR
    thx muhhan

basically is all my stupid fault.

I got the wire wrong for the light, with speco, they got separate wire ground for the light, which mean you can disconnect hte light and still be able to work the tacho meter ( which is good i think, incase if the bulb is blown or something).

i ground on the same place.

it took me a while to figure it out ... but finaly i fix it... thanks to your DIY Muhhan... very usefull ... i bought this tacho for about 4 months, and never be able to install it untill i saw your DIY... so good...