Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoNode View Post
    Are you mistaking engine braking for foot operated brakes?
    what's engine braking?...all i know is that when i have cruise control on and the car is going over the speed, the car is braking...

wikipedia says: Engine braking is always active in all non-hybrid vehicles with an internal combustion engine, regardless of transmission type. Engine braking passively reduces wear on brakes and helps a driver maintain control of the vehicle. It is always active when the foot is lifted off the accelerator, the transmission is not in neutral, the clutch is engaged and a freewheel is not engaged. This is often called engine drag....Active use of engine braking (shifting into a lower gear) is only advantageous when it is necessary to control speed while driving down very steep and long slopes. It should be applied before regular disk or drum brakes have been used, leaving the brakes available to make emergency stops. The desired speed is maintained by using engine braking to counteract the acceleration due to gravity.

...but i dont shift into a lower gear and dont know why the car itself would if it is accelerating......is something wrong with my car? :S cos the accord doesn't do it down the same hill
    Last edited by wilkie; 03-02-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    what's engine braking?...all i know is that when i have cruise control on and the car is going over the speed, the car is braking...
    I have a 07 VTI and it slows down when its going over the speed.. even if i press the decelerating button, I can feel the braking.. I'm pretty sure its the engine braking..

Quote Originally Posted by jckidz View Post
    I have a 07 VTI and it slows down when its going over the speed.. even if i press the decelerating button, I can feel the braking.. I'm pretty sure its the engine braking..
    yeh when i press the decel button it does decelerate, but then why doesnt my 07 accord do the same?

it's when you or your engine shifts a lower a gear i think

im still lost. why would a vehicle shift down a gear when it is accelerating? and why would a more expensive car not do the same thing if it is the engine and not a feature?

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2R
    Quote Originally Posted by jckidz View Post
    Well think about this. When u lift your foot OFF the accelerator, do you feel that the car is slowing down? Its exactly the same thing with the cruise control. It basically releases the accelerator until it reaches its set cruise speed.

Quote Originally Posted by wilkie View Post
    im still lost. why would a vehicle shift down a gear when it is accelerating? and why would a more expensive car not do the same thing if it is the engine and not a feature?
    The vehicle is accelerating down the hill due to the cars weight and gravity.

Cruise control is there to maintain a certain speed, once that speed is exceeded it downshifts to increase engine braking to maintain the speed the user has set.

This feature is not new, many cars with cruise control will automatically downshift to a lower gear to maintain speed. (Applies to automatic transmissions)

Perhaps only Honda knows as to why your Accord doesn't do the same thing, maybe you should bring it next time you're at the dealer if you haven't already.
    Better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

Quote Originally Posted by FallenAngel View Post
    Well think about this. When u lift your foot OFF the accelerator, do you feel that the car is slowing down? Its exactly the same thing with the cruise control. It basically releases the accelerator until it reaches its set cruise speed.
    ok idno who that reply was for, but my thing is where i am not accelerating by pushing the pedal, i am going down a hill...but the car is braking...so there is no pedal to lift my foot OFF...

Quote Originally Posted by NeoNode View Post
    The vehicle is accelerating down the hill due to the cars weight and gravity.

Cruise control is there to maintain a certain speed, once that speed is exceeded it downshifts to increase engine braking to maintain the speed the user has set.

This feature is not new, many cars with cruise control will automatically downshift to a lower gear to maintain speed. (Applies to automatic transmissions)

Perhaps only Honda knows as to why your Accord doesn't do the same thing, maybe you should bring it next time you're at the dealer if you haven't already.
    ok this answer makes sense to me now, thanks neonode. i can see why it would shift lower to use engine braking to slow down, not too fussed bout the accord, just was the only vehicle to compare with down the same hill
    Last edited by wilkie; 03-02-2008 at 09:45 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Skoda Octavia RS serious!
    on the MY07 or MY08 they introduced an iPod socket, wheel upgrades and a boot liner covering. Re-shuffle of colours. Not sure if that was MY08 or 7. I'm guessing MY07!

ipod socket? i thought its just aux input

Member Array
    Car:
    06 Civic FD1, 08 Lancer
    It is... but Honda likes to call it an iPod compatible* adaptor.

Note that the word "compatible" is silent.
    FD1 & CZ4A Driver.

Member Array
    Car:
    FN2R
    Quote Originally Posted by Shimian View Post
    overseas models are always better than ours. The function im most jealous is they have auto folding mirrors. Our model, we have to do it by hand.
    Sorry to bring this thread back but was just wondering the folding mirrors refers to folding the side mirrors correct? If so where is the button to do this? Does the FD1 have it?