Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Member Array
    Car:
    XR6 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by roar View Post
    Often you'll find off-the-shelf high-quality headers will "fit" alot tighter than custom/xforce headers as the tolerancing will be much much tighter. You often see this in the bolt holes that connect the header pipe to the block. Xforce use larger holes to compensate for a non-exact fit. Toda/Spoon/Maximworks/etc will have precisely machined holes for an exact fit.
    Just to add my 2c worth, having tighter fit bolt holes allows for much better port alignment compared to a header that has alot of free play with the flange.

B20VTEC Build Thread

Newcomer Array
    Imagine if I currently have a cat-back exhaust system, and say a injen CAI,
    If i was to say, purchase xforce headers or buddyclub, toda so on, now i don't mean to be judgmental in anyway whatsoever but what would the difference be if there just pipes at the end of the day, both are better then stock OEM, so wouldn't performance gain between the two - 'xforce' and 'toda' be minimal?

Please don't flame, just trying to learn here..

thnks
    khaled

Quote Originally Posted by EG5 View Post

Locally made in Australia , JDMyard K swap header
    Equal tuned length 4-2-1 header , hand made collectors , fully tig welded
    Proven 11.82 sec down the 1/4 mile on my EGK24A
    This is a copy of the Rage header, like to see back to back tests

Newcomer Array
    as would i,

could sum1 please answer my question? ^^ about the differences in headers

cheers boys+girls

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Quote Originally Posted by B20NA View Post
    This is a copy of the Rage header, like to see back to back tests
    Show me Rage header pics and specs for K swap application.
    I havent seen Rage K swap header and I havent seen alot of people doin the the 4 - 2 -1 collector part so short like my header.
    Last edited by EG5; 15-02-2009 at 08:56 PM.
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

Account Disabled Array
    Quote Originally Posted by hectik_7 View Post
    If i was to say, purchase xforce headers or buddyclub, toda so on, now i don't mean to be judgmental in anyway whatsoever but what would the difference be if there just pipes at the end of the day, both are better then stock OEM, so wouldn't performance gain between the two - 'xforce' and 'toda' be minimal?

thnks
    khaled
    there is a difference between two brands. Not only in quality but the design in the Toda headers make it very efficient. Im saying that, the Tri-Y design headers from places like the US also make very good power. Do more research and you'll learn alot.

Try sites like honda-tech.com and use the search function

Quote Originally Posted by hectik_7 View Post

thnks
    khaled
    1st, you really don't have to sign off with your name..LOL.

2nd, I'd say this - If you have no intention to go further at all, then yes, Xforce will be bang for buck. But going no further is not likely hey? ;-)
    The tuned header (e.g. Toda) would then come into its own when you start doing more.

So, what do you want to do? to get an xforce now because its cheap could be false economy - down the road, as your build your car, you realise you need something that will match the mods alot better.
    MFactory Competition Products

Member Array
    Car:
    DC2 Squared
    Ok,

By locally produced headers, do you mean pacemaker, redback, lukey, genieSS, etc?

If you are, I highly suggest you stay away from that shit. I managed to be in an exhaust fitting/mechanical shop for a week (the welder there was ex autotech welder - apparently a reputable shop, welding/manifold science wise? ROFL.)

For started upon inspecting my pacemaker headers which came with my car, not to mention the STUPIDLY small piping on the primary and secondaries, there is a abundant lip inside the port which is closest to the exhaust port right up after the flange, this in itself will cost you alot of power once you get the motor built right. The gas flowing out of the port will hit this lip, cause turbulance and disturb that optimum flow you want.

My previous nissan motor mass produced pacemaker headers had the SAME flaw. It's not something they design into it, it's cheap rushing process of manufacture. It's easier to slide the tube into the flange port hole and tack it than it is to align it 100% around the port hole, see what I'm getting at? BULLSHIT design.

In all my honest, my general observation is Australian mass produced headers from above manufacturers are a bunch of shit gimmicks that young p platers (I'm a p plater so don't try flame, but alot of them have NFI - eg; sick pod bro) who just bought there car pay for. Some might give a slight gain, but yes, a slight gain. It really depends what you want. I still believe standard honda headers flow quite well.

If i was to say, purchase xforce headers or buddyclub, toda so on, now i don't mean to be judgmental in anyway whatsoever but what would the difference be if there just pipes at the end of the day,
    Yes, they are just pipes at the end of the day but I don't see it that way, the exhaust manifold is one of the most important tools on the motor. It needs to be designed as best it can. So just pipes at the end of the day mentality is what the pacemaker people might think, but not those after quality stuff. For example,

If your "pipes" are welded together with slag inside the piping, shit fit, lips inside where the piping is joined, press bent tubing, I guarantee you that you will be bottlenecking your motor.

The header should be designed in a way that the gases flow straight out from the motor without any interference from anything unless it's going from primary to secondary (or to collector). There is a big issue with cheap headers, for some reason they make the primary smaller in diameter than the port. This should be slightly larger than the exhaust port which allows for gasses to smoothly flow into the primary and ALSO helps gases be "pulled" from the cylinder due to high pressure -> low pressure (primary tube) area. We all know gas flows from high pressure to low. This will then flow down gently through mandrel bends into the secondary which should be stepped to prevent gas reversion. and again smoothly to the collector which should be to a point and have a decent length reverse megaphone on the end to increase velocity of the gasses.

Of course that is a VERY basic insight of a well designed header, there is alot more involved such as camshaft and intake designs, port throat velocity, making the primary's straight for as long as possible as they exit the head rather than curve straight away (RMF do this in US I beleive), etc.

I know I don't answer some direct questions you have, but if you know what you're doing you can make a set of headers just as good if not better than a set from say toda for example for well below 1k. .

Quote Originally Posted by EG5 View Post
    Show me Rage header pics and specs for K swap application.
    I havent seen Rage K swap header and I havent seen alot of people doin the the 4 - 2 -1 collector part so short like my header.
    just viewed the rage header and your right the 1 collector is larger in the rage than yours

Ozhonda Trader Array
    Car:
    EGK24A
    Quote Originally Posted by B20NA View Post
    just viewed the rage header and your right the 1 collector is larger in the rage than yours
    Got any pics ? specs of it ?
    JDMyard Pty Ltd
    25 / 317-321 Woodpark Rd , Smithfield , NSW 2164. Contact : 02 97572364
    Email : yonas@jdmyard.com , Facebook : http://www.facebook.com/JDMYard
    www.JDMyard.com

have pic's just dont know how to paste it up

http://img519.imageshack.us/my.php?i...3064055ol0.jpg
    Last edited by B20NA; 17-02-2009 at 10:09 PM.

Member Array
    Car:
    Honda Integra Type R AB02
    You guys need to understand major tuners in Japan they have all the date and a lot of testing to create a product therefore the price are more expensive. They will test it over and over and make sure it works and also compare figures......which ever give you better performance and reliabilities, they will use that design....which local exhaust shop they may have the knowledge but will they invest as much time and put it on the engine and test whats the output on the fly...or on the wheel? I dun think so.......Toda, Spoon, Buddyclub, Mugen etc...they have race car and dyno engine setup to collect data and they do a lot of testing b4 put the product in the market.....For me I will prefer to pay top dollar for best item.....such as Mugen....as I am a mugen whore.....lol
    Like e240 mention....you can settle with x-force header but if down the track you may need better item if you build your engine further.....its just a waste of time to buy and sell again.....you lost $$ by selling ur part 2nd hand and labour......I will prefer to save up and pay top $$ for best part and try to do it once....but thats only me....

About make quality.....try to look into some major JDM or US top quality parts.....the welding looks perfect...but not only from outside......inside as well.......local and custom made item....its all depends.....it may look good outside...but inside may be badly welded and may affect how efficient the header work.

As most of you know NA car is not like turbo cars......you may only gain a few kw by putting a new part in your car....if you say X-force and buddy club header only a few kw different...then what can you do the gain that few kw back......you use $$ to buy power to NA cars....unlike turbo by doing ECU tuning without any further mods...you may gain 20 kw easily......so every single kw counts for me......

I had driven

Stock AUDM DC5R
    modded AUDM DC5R
    JDM DC5R

with
    AUDM Header with Spoon N1 Catback
    AUDM Header with Mugen Twinloop
    Xforce header with Spoon N1 Catback
    Mugen Header with both Mugen Twinloop and Spoon N1 Catback
    Toda Header, with Toda Catback
    Spoon Header with Mugen Twinloop
    Spoon Header with Mugen N1 Exhaust

and I can tell you, I feel minimal difference between X-force Header and Stock AUDM Header.....Toda and Mugen Header have the best gain in performance......and spoon Header with Mugen exhausts have good balance....so that tell you whats the better choice.....

But its just personal experience......I maybe wrong.....at the end of the day you can make your own judgement.......Just my 2 cent....hope it helps.....
    Mugen Whore #2